addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Victor
aspenx
Tokyo, JP
Post #: 233
I've been to all 3 schools at some point in time, and I rank Ikoma and Bunka as tied top. I think Bunka is pretty well-covered till sufficiently advanced levels. We have Victor here who was from Bunka all the way, he's one of the best non-native speakers of Japanese I know, and I think he can vouch for Bunka.

Haha. I'm flattered. ><

I hear rumours of teachers quitting, but I also hear that the head teacher is quite steadfastly enforcing the school's standards so I doubt the school will crumble any time soon. In fact, I'm seriously contemplating going to Bunka's classes to keep in touch with my Japanese, and I have just recommended the school to my bro who will start elementary lessons there in Sep.

Sad to say that the "head teacher" herself is getting a little lax with the standards. But it's really hard to manage a ever-changing group of teachers. The higher-level courses however are still under the charge of the head teacher I think. If you can follow her pace and can speak up AND respond fast enough, her classes are a heck load of fun! Yes, even for the business Japanese course.

Anyway, it's as you said, regardless of which school you choose, you'll still need to put in consistent effort. That's why I recommend choosing whichever school you think you can stick with longer =)

Can't be more true. As a disclaimer though, Bunka Elementary courses (IMO at least) require a somewhat higher level of commitment because the syllabus aims to empower the student with more grammatical forms and such within a shorter time as compared to say JCS. It might not be that ideal for everyone as I've seen people giving up midway in Bunka's Elementary courses because they couldn't keep up with the pace.
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm deciding between Ikoma and Bunka. I haven't started on any Japanese lesson yet but my intentions are to go up to JLPT5 or maybe BJT too. From what I read here, I understand Bunka focus on grammar whereas Ikoma is more overall covered. Anyone here can actually give any suggestions on which school would be better to major for Japanese?
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 69
I'm deciding between Ikoma and Bunka. I haven't started on any Japanese lesson yet but my intentions are to go up to JLPT5 or maybe BJT too. From what I read here, I understand Bunka focus on grammar whereas Ikoma is more overall covered. Anyone here can actually give any suggestions on which school would be better to major for Japanese?

Hi, JLPT N5 is the easiest level, so you probably mean you want to go up to JLPT N1. Also, by 'major for Japanese', do you mean you want to take a degree in Japanese studies or study in Japan eventually?

Since you haven't started on any Japanese lessons, I suggest you start with either school ASAP, whichever is more convenient to you with regards to location/timing. The earlier you start, the more likely it is to achieve your goal, and either school is more than decent enough.

At the higher levels (when you start reading novels and news), I think what matters more is the individual learner rather than the school. With so many learning materials easily available on the internet and in the bookshops, I feel that the main benefit of schools is that they provide more of a disciplined learning environment and not much more.

Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi, JLPT N5 is the easiest level, so you probably mean you want to go up to JLPT N1. Also, by 'major for Japanese', do you mean you want to take a degree in Japanese studies or study in Japan eventually?

Since you haven't started on any Japanese lessons, I suggest you start with either school ASAP, whichever is more convenient to you with regards to location/timing. The earlier you start, the more likely it is to achieve your goal, and either school is more than decent enough.

At the higher levels (when you start reading novels and news), I think what matters more is the individual learner rather than the school. With so many learning materials easily available on the internet and in the bookshops, I feel that the main benefit of schools is that they provide more of a disciplined learning environment and not much more.

Good luck!

Hi thanks for the reply and opps I do mean JLPT N1. I do want to take a degree in Japanese studies but not too sure what are the option in singapore. Study in Japan is not really an option for me. Any opinion on this?
A former member
Post #: 8

Good luck!

Hi thanks for the reply and opps I do mean JLPT N1. I do want to take a degree in Japanese studies but not too sure what are the option in singapore. Study in Japan is not really an option for me. Any opinion on this?

Ermm...NUS offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Japanese studies and language. Other than NUS, I am not sure if other institutions offer this degree.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hello everyone,

I wanted to offer an invite to anyone who is interested in online Japanese language classes. I will be hosting a free introductory class this next Tuesday the 28th of September at 7:30pm Singapore time. I have taught the Japanese language for many years and have students all over the world. All you need is a high speed internet connection and a headset with a microphone if you plan on talking. The classroom is held through professional web conferencing software and allows for direct conversation, text chatting, file and desktop sharing and my favorite the online whiteboard. You are not required to download any plug-ins.

Because of the convenience of having classes online, I am able to be quite flexible with my students. Also, if you plan to join on a regular basis, you will find our program exceptionally affordable.

If your interested, email me at global_inspirations@yahoo.com. I will send you a link before class that you can follow to the online classroom. Also, if you cannot make this class and would still like to try it out, feel free to contact me and I will send you information on the next introductory class schedule. I look forward to meeting you all! Thanks!

~Xiyue
Frederick C.
user 13399881
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
I am currently in Bunka Elementary 1, going on to Elementary 2 at the end of this month. I find the pace alright, even slow at times. I guess the key is to put in effort, especially in memorising the hiragana characters, which many of my classmates still have difficulties in after many lessons.
A former member
Post #: 1
Can anyone recommend a good Japanese language school that allows foreign students (i.e. those that don't live in Singapore and needs a Student Pass)? I emailed Ikoma and Bunka but they said they don't do Student Passes. :(

Thanks in advance for your help. ^ ^
A former member
Post #: 24
Hi everyone !

For beginners, in choosing a 'good' and appropriate school, may I suggest the following which I found to be quite helpful :

1) Visit the school(s). (Don't just look at the syllabus ! Forget about the syllabus for the time-being.)
2) Is it accessible to you easily without a fuss ?
3) How are the facilities,i.e. aids used in teaching ?
4) Most schools allow you to sit in for a free trial lesson. GRAB it !
a) Can the teachers explain well in English ? Is the teaching interesting or boringly 'academic' ?
b) Are the students motivated ? Do they participate during the class with the teacher ?
c) Do you feel comfortable when you sit in, i.e. that feeling of excitement of all ready to learn ?
d) SPEAK to the CURRENT student(S) in the class (all levels if possible). ASK CURRENT students of any level anything you like to know about the course, like conversation in Japanese.
5) SPEAK to the TEACHERS. Can most ot them understand you & speak to you in reasonably good English ?
6) Collect first-hand information for yourself rather than relying on hear-says of others.
7) Speak to your parents if they are paying for the course. What parents really want to know is on top of your more important school work, are you able to cope ?
8) Finally, I hope it is, know your goals in learning the language. Reassess your goals every now and then.
Please ENJOY the 'ride'. Please take things easy a step at a time and 'only cross the bridge when you come to it'.

Happy learning !
Best Wishes,
Victor Ho smile
(Currently, a student of 2 GRRREEEEAT schools)
Why GRRRREAT ? Because I am ENJOYING every bit of it !!!!!
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 71
Can anyone recommend a good Japanese language school that allows foreign students (i.e. those that don't live in Singapore and needs a Student Pass)? I emailed Ikoma and Bunka but they said they don't do Student Passes. :(

Thanks in advance for your help. ^ ^

Hmm.. I suspect it will be very difficult to find such a school. How are they going to justify that you are coming to Singapore to study Japanese full-time, when Japanese is not spoken by most Singaporeans? You should be going to Japan to study Japanese, or coming to Singapore to study English or Mandarin. It is only logical that ICA (Immigration & Checkpoints Authority) suspect that your real aim for coming to Singapore isn't to study Japanese, but to use it as an excuse to find a job here/work illegally/stay with a friend for an extended period of time etc.

You can however take Japanese classes as a hobby while you're here on a social visit pass/work permit/dependent pass/any other valid reasons for coming to Singapore.

If you're serious about learning Japanese, then Singapore won't be among your top choices. If you just want to learn Japanese while you happen to be here for some other reason, then you have to use that other reason to get valid entrance into Singapore.