addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 74
Hi Tsubasa !

Some of us here might like to know/use the tutors you are recommending.

Please give us some details about

1) their fees

2) their 'origin', i.e., educational/teaching background & country of origin

3) testimonies of students who have used/are using their services.

Thanks.

Regards,
VictorMature smile

Not Tsubasa here but I have a feeling that he doesn't know how to reply you. Please understand that he is NOT running a Japanese tutor matching service, but just trying to help out by giving people who need some contacts. You may send him a private message through meetup to get some contacts if you need, but this forum may not be the most appropriate place to disclose the 3 points you've requested, and he might not be in the position to investigate points 2 and 3 of all the tutors he knows (and why should he spend his time doing that?) He should not be held responsible if you decide eventually to use one of the tutors he knows and end up not liking the tutor's way of teaching.

From what I know, one-to-one private Japanese tuition may cost around the range of $30/hr-$60/hr, depending on teaching experience, training, Japanese ability (if non-native), English ability (if native and for beginner Japanese), venue (your place or theirs or outside), part- or full-time.

I found my private tutor online, choosing her after e-mailing 3 different tutors. Again, what works for some might not work for others, so after you get the contact of a private tutor, do talk to him/her, tell him/her your current stage of learning, learning style and target, and find out if he/she suits your learning needs.
User3050
user 10105417
Singapore, SG
Post #: 23
Dear all,

I'm looking for some advice on how I should pick up my Japanese again.

I learnt the language back in NUS, which has a pretty intensive syllabus, till Intermediate level but did not have much opportunity to practise conversation. That was 4 years back and I passed JLPT 3 then.

I have always toyed with the idea of picking it up again, but as a poor fresh graduate (still poor now), procrastinated for the last 3-4 yrs. Haha...

Assessment of my level now:
- hiragana - no problem. Still remember all characters.
- katakana - well, can read slowly. Can't spell words well though. My mastery of katakana vocab has always been slow.
- Grammar - more or less remember how dict. form, plain form, negative (~nai form) works. But lacking the practice in changing them fluently. My ~te iru forms, prohibition forms etc. are also a little rusty, not to mention receiving & giving. I think all these can be rectified with practice on paper.
- Listening and speaking/ putting sentences together - not good.

I think the grammar can be rectified with practice on paper, lots of it.
But my problem is that, I've make attempts to pick up or revise by going through my japanese textbooks (from NUS "Yookoso Japan"), borrowing "Japanese for Busy People bk2,3" from the library when the books are available. Although I admit that I wasn't dedicated in revising constantly (thus always have to refresh by going back old chapters), I got frustrated by being limited to just baby steps.

I can read, and even tried memorising dialogue conversations from these textbooks, and did some of the usual text practices to familiarise with converting to past tense, present tense etc. But it's a really dry way of practice. Maybe because I've got no one to practice with, and only have theory...it's like to the extent that theory practice doesn't do much for me. In other words, even if I have a really good revision plan, i can practice some exercises, but over time it dries of my interest and my absorption rate drops. Effectiveness of self-revision goes down. Learning Japanese becomes a love-hate affair coz it's like I know a little bit but not enough to do much for me and I'm stuck in a phase. So I decided to stop procrastinating and gather courage to be in a class again.

What I'm trying to say is that, you know how in primary schools we learn chinese by having to do the dreaded sentence construction/ zhao-ju? I want to have varied practices like this. Like how you can use a sentence or verb in its varied forms in different way. And someone to let you know if the usage is right or wrong. And of course, verbal practice....really patient verbal practice.

And so, I need advice on if this grand plan of mine will work:
-Registering with JCS to revise my basics. Thinking of taking Intensive Elementary to clear it in 5-6mths. Not sure if i'm killing myself, what with work and all.

- Then considering either Bunka or Ikoma. I think Ikoma will be able better for all-rounded practise? To tackle all my weak spots?
Cost-wise, I can't help fantasising about quitting work to learn Full time coz Ikoma's full time lessons come with...was it so many extra hours at lower cost!! More worth it!
Why is it that they charge once or twice a week lessons more, yet have lesser hours compared to full? Hmmm...

- Wonder what Ikoma's crowd or Bunka's is like? Lots of teens? Are there at least some mid-twenties working adults??

It's a long ramble I know.
Any advise would be much appreciated confused

Hi ya ,

As an alternative , why not approach tsubasa san for lessons ? Tsubasa san can afford a more personalised approach for his students that includes regular assessment and advisory on individual progress . Addititonally , as he keeps class sizes small , this greatly faciliates learning for his students . Hopefully , such a arrangment might produce some yields for you . :)

regards
A former member
Post #: 29
Hi !

Whatever I have written in this thread needs one to read between the lines. Don't be too naive ! Don't respond to them too quickly because it is easy to be caught with your pants down ! Do I expect a reply from Mr Tsubasa from my recent posting. Of course NOT ! Do I need you to tell me that ? A million times NO, because that is not my REAL purpose for the posting ! By the way, my posting was addressed only to Mr Tsubasa specifically.

To some, I have to say this, "I have eaten more salt than you have eaten rice!" Do learn to be humble by being "quiet" at time. It is simple to judge the true maturity of a person by their postings. This is definitely not an appropriate forum/thread for any form of debate/rebuttal. I rest my case.

Thank you.

Regards,
Assoc Professor Victor Ho (Adj)
NUS smile
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 75
Hi !

Whatever I have written in this thread needs one to read between the lines. Don't be too naive ! Don't respond to them too quickly because it is easy to be caught with your pants down ! Do I expect a reply from Mr Tsubasa from my recent posting. Of course NOT ! Do I need you to tell me that ? A million times NO, because that is not my REAL purpose for the posting ! By the way, my posting was addressed only to Mr Tsubasa specifically.

To some, I have to say this, "I have eaten more salt than you have eaten rice!" Do learn to be humble by being "quiet" at time. It is simple to judge the true maturity of a person by their postings. This is definitely not an appropriate forum/thread for any form of debate/rebuttal. I rest my case.

Thank you.

Regards,
Assoc Professor Victor Ho (Adj)
NUS smile

Dear A.P. Victor Ho,

It's obvious you're addressing this to me, so I shall reply you directly.

Please enlighten me, in which part of my posts was I being not humble and trying to raise any debate or rebuttal? I was simply trying to provide information to you as well as any other readers of this thread who are waiting for Tsubasa's answers and explain that Tsubasa is likely facing difficulty in answering those 3 points that you have specifically asked. I took my time to do that because I know him personally to be too kind a person and not very good at rejecting other people's requests. It was worth the effort because I got a 'thanks' from him.

I have tried to remain non-argumentative and stick to providing my opinion and information I know, but since you have insulted me personally by saying I need to learn to be humble and implying that I'm immature, I can no longer let it rest.

Let's see who's being not humble here. Oh, Assoc Prof! Wow! Why is that piece of information lying around on this kind of forum meant for helping Japanese learners? Am I supposed to gape in awe? Sorry, doesn't work on me. People gain my respect by showing their virtues (and if it's on a forum, by providing useful information), not by boasting about their academic achievements.

And let's see who's being immature here. See the first paragraph in the quote above - written with perfect maturity, nicely punctuated with lots of exclamation marks and capitalized words. Maturity is not something that comes automatically with age and experience. You're right on the bulls-eye that it shows through the postings.

As for your argument that I was being rude by replying despite not being Tsubasa and that I shouldn't have replied because I was supposed to read between the lines that you didn't expect a reply, I've already mentioned earlier that I could feel that Tsubasa's facing some difficulty in replying and he was being put in a spot because it would appear that he's being unhelpful if he just leaves it unanswered. People who know him will know that he is really helpful, but I didn't want anyone who doesn't know him personally to go away thinking that he is unhelpful. And the point about reading between the lines? You totally lost me there. What's there to read between the lines on an internet forum post? You asked a question addressed to Tsubasa. If he doesn't reply, he's rude or unhelpful, no? As a friend, I should help him out of a difficult situation if I can, no?

Please refrain from fallacies like 'poisoning the well' that you've attempted to do earlier. Instead, give me a good argument as to why I'm wrong and you're right if you still believe so. I am very open to criticism because I don't believe I'm always right.

Regards,
Wenyan

P.S. Apologies to other forum readers, I'm not a meek docile person who takes insults lying down. Sorry for wasting your bandwidth on such immature squabbling.

P.P.S. I've reflected on this and I still don't know why I got such a strong reaction from VictorMature. I reread my earlier post and don't see any inflammatory parts. Everything was just stated as facts. Maybe some people can't take facts bluntly? But I'm a straightforward person who doesn't want to pretend to be nice so I still don't think I have anything to apologize for. If VictorMature is willing to do something about his post, I'm willing to delete this whole post too, because I don't think it should be lying around on this thread.
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 450
Thanks Wenyan, for speaking up what i wanna say..

Victor, i need to let you know, although i know some of these tutors, i really can't give the information what you want. i know them, but i don't take their lessons. So it's really hard for me. Not that i don't want to help... And i believe that if anyone needs more information, they will ask me via email or via the forums.

I watch the website every 30 mins/1 hr cos i am concerned about everyone in the meetup. I wanna give my best to help each and everyone here. So if you see that i don't reply after a while, it means i am stuck in replying to your message.

I really don't understand, what you meant by the some of us... are you referring to yourself and some of your friends?

"Some of us here might like to know/use the tutors you are recommending"

Also, i believe that non of us here should use whatever title/position you have to say things like "I have eaten more salt than you have eaten rice!"

We come here to learn from one another, not to rebuke each other.
A former member
Post #: 7
victor,

your response is really inappropriate and overly.

show the grace of maturity. dont be so quick to take offense. respond, not retaliate.

you over reacted. you somehow added unintended negativism in between the lines.

to use age or title to try to go one up over others is so laughably silly. blaring out your title is screaming your insecurity. it makes people sneer at you. cant use reason and language to clarify your position? and to use age, haha, omg, if you think you are older, than all the more, show you are worthy of your salt, show you are self assured enough to respect someone as the person they are. age do NOT give us the right to thumb down the younger. it is cowardly to do so.

in fact, age obliges us to be more tender with the young, it obliges us to overlook any minor transgression from the young. afterall, we have gone thru more and suppose to know better. but, of course we dont ;)

while i dont know them, but from my trolling around this group, tsubasa and wenyan are definitely vip members who embodies the spirit of peer sharing. they are well liked and respected for good reasons.

when we read replies from strangers, it is helpful to always give the benefit of the doubt. if you sense negativism, halve it and take the day off. come back and re-appraise. i am sure you will see things in a much less negative light. and, when you reply, halve your negativism too .. i just did :)

aaron
randomswing
Singapore, SG
Post #: 87
Dear all,

I have to second Wenyan's point that constant exposure to the language would actually be more helpful than professional guidance. I have noticed that people studying on their own tend to pick up Japanese much faster. In the end its really about how motivated you are. I have known people in Meetup who have gone from N3 to N2 within a year without getting help from a teacher. (and their spoken Japanese isn't half bad either!)
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 451

while i dont know them, but from my trolling around this group, tsubasa and wenyan are definitely vip members who embodies the spirit of peer sharing. they are well liked and respected for good reasons.

Minhwaさん、あ­りがとうご­ざいます。­。。
User3050
user 10105417
Singapore, SG
Post #: 24
Dear all,

I have to second Wenyan's point that constant exposure to the language would actually be more helpful than professional guidance. I have noticed that people studying on their own tend to pick up Japanese much faster. In the end its really about how motivated you are. I have known people in Meetup who have gone from N3 to N2 within a year without getting help from a teacher. (and their spoken Japanese isn't half bad either!)

I agree on the motivation part . Without motivation and perseverance ( you really need alot of this ) on the part of the learner , any method , be it school / self study / private tutor/ online class / working in japan / etc etc , wouldnt work anyway . With them , any method would probadly yield results . Just my view on it , of course .
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 76
Dear­ all,

I agree on the motivation part . Without motivation and perseverance ( you really need alot of this ) on the part of the learner , any method , be it school / self study / private tutor/ online class / working in japan / etc etc , wouldnt work anyway . With them , any method would probadly yield results . Just my view on it , of course .

Not just N3 to N2, Aaron being humble neglected to tell us that he went from the old JLPT3 to JLPT2 (current N4 to N2) in a year without taking lessons and yet got a pretty decent score (much more decent than mine anyway), and we have another friend who went from JLPT4 to JLPT2 in a year by watching her favourite SMAP. We also had a well-respected member whom we used to call 神(god) because his spoken Japanese is so natural, and he went all the way to JLPT2 without having taken a single lesson. His trick was to think to himself in Japanese as much as possible, from the moment he wakes up (e.g. I'm going to brush my teeth) and to copy the speech of drama characters.

Of course, few people can keep up the motivation year-long without slacking, so I think having regular classes is helpful. Unfortunately I'll slack off the lessons too and waste my school fees crying so taking a book around and reading it whenever I feel like it works better for me.

So my advice is to do whatever that keeps you interested and motivated. (I feel like a broken recorder, like I've said this a few times already.)