Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Lawliett
Lawliett
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
Why sucky?

Maybe you could describe more?

Oh, because this SG guy, he keeps shooting us lots of chim stuff when we are just beginners! His teaching isnt structured, he jumps all over the place teaching new things which are not related to what we just learnt from the first teacher. He doesnt let us practise the new sentence structures the first teacher taught us...makes us read from the book minna no nihongo once in a while and doesnt really explain the meaning..

Oh and I just realised my mistake.. I pontang-ed the 2nd half of the last 2 lessons.. I attended the first half just to get the sentence structures from the good teacher.. From my experience so far, I had 4 different teachers during Elementary 1 itself... because 2 of the teachers quit and then had another 2 replacing them (due to the 2-teacher system in Pyaess), and the teachers were of different calibre confused

What he means is that you can take JLPT 4 after 1 yr, JLPT 3 after another level, ... 4 years in all.
Each course takes around 3 months (12 lessons), average of 3 courses per JLPT level.
address : www.aoba.com.sg
Teaching is not too bad, but like other smaller schools, it faces one common problem:
difficult to get enough students to form a class at the higher levels.
Maybe you want to consider Ikoma?

Oh..icic..haha.. The way he explained, I thought this was a super-express japanese school XD Are you in Aoba too?? The price is rather steep, an $85 jump (per level) from the price I currently pay for Pyaess lessons.. I did consider Ikoma, but the pricing is too steep.. A friend of mine (who is going to take JLPT2 I think) suggested that I study at the lower-priced school first, for Elementary, then switch to a better school eg Ikoma for Intermediate and Advanced.

But my main problem now is that I find it hard to learn and absorb new Japanese material, maybe because I have found my motivation going down the drain since I started having lousy teachers...

ET
user 9234367
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
I personally introduce Aoba Language Centre. Heard of it? The teachers there are really good and patient. The materials given is not bad too. Sometimes if you really need extra Notes or homework, they gladly print it for you. The school will also organise a Japanese exchange programme every 3 mths. From there, I had already expanded my network of Japanese. I also managed to learn a lot new things.

The courses and prices are quite average I think. Is worth it. Each level takes around 3 months. Meaning in just 1 year, you can take JLPT 4,3,2,1. Maybe someone can try it out. I am currently a student there too. Kinda famous too xD. So maybe if you guys wish to go over there, just say my name, Takeshi. I guess they probably will know about me.

Take care. Lastly, choose the right school. School is where you study, makes friends and also to cultivate your strong interest for Japanese. As long as the passion doesn't die, you definitely will make it. =))

-Takeshi

Abit slow ne....but cos recently my 日本語のク­ラス(clas­s) is en­ding...A­ND i am ­having withdra­wal symp­toms fro­m it >< ­hahah..s­ounds v­ery ext­reme is­ it? OK lah..put­ it in s­imple I am SAD­ about it­ ending­. so ­thinkin­g of tak­ing 日本語les­son out­side. bu­t i hop­e to get int­ersting­ sch/cla­sses...(p­ersonall­y I LOVE­ my 日本語les­son in NUS b­ut i am graduati­ng). ­So ...ma­ybe anym­ore fro­m aoba can ­talk abo­ut the ­experie­nce ther­e or may­be タケシ­さんcan s­ay abit mor­e? hee ­(so far ­reading­ commen­ts in t­his thre­ad.....a­oba seem­s more ­interes­ting? not sure­ ne...) ­ btw... ­ 初めまし­て、私はET­です。。。­日本語の名­前。。。ha­ven thi­nk of i­t yet^^|­ どうぞよ­ろしくお願­いします�
DoubleL
user 7511351
Singapore, SG
I personally introduce Aoba Language Centre. Heard of it? The teachers there are really good and patient. The materials given is not bad too. Sometimes if you really need extra Notes or homework, they gladly print it for you. The school will also organise a Japanese exchange programme every 3 mths. From there, I had already expanded my network of Japanese. I also managed to learn a lot new things.

The courses and prices are quite average I think. Is worth it. Each level takes around 3 months. Meaning in just 1 year, you can take JLPT 4,3,2,1. Maybe someone can try it out. I am currently a student there too. Kinda famous too xD. So maybe if you guys wish to go over there, just say my name, Takeshi. I guess they probably will know about me.

Take care. Lastly, choose the right school. School is where you study, makes friends and also to cultivate your strong interest for Japanese. As long as the passion doesn't die, you definitely will make it. =))

-Takeshi

I'm considering Ikoma and Aoba. Really hard to make decision ~ How is aoba class size like? too many ppl i tend to get nervous whenever sensei ask questions ><
Hsu
user 9476379
Singapore, SG
Hi! I am new! This is my first post, haha. I recommend Ikoma. Right paced, not too slow to be complacent yet fast enough to pressurize for improvements. Good teaching materials, interesting at times. Friendly teachers. Price comparable to the rest anyway. My class size was max 12 pax i think. Just my 2 cents, hope to help. :)
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 386
Message moved. -Kotaro
========================
Hajimemashite.
Dozo yoroshiku. smile

I am a beginner. Currently, I am with the Beyond Language School for Japanese at North Bridge Road, very near to Bugis junction. It is a new school, but with great like-minded company & superb Nihhon sensei.

The teaching methodology is similar to children learning English in UK; different from schools teaching English & Mandarin in Singapore. I know from experience that it is definitely a better method of learning a language, especially the English Language. We are taught phonetics first. At the moment, the school has promotional offers for its courses.

Do check out its website :

http://www.beyondlang...­

If you like, join us !

Domo.

Kanpai,
kunle wink
Jacques
user 10494884
Singapore, SG
Post #: 6
Message moved. -Kotaro
========================
Hajimemashite.
Dozo yoroshiku. smile

I am a beginner. Currently, I am with the Beyond Language School for Japanese at North Bridge Road, very near to Bugis junction. It is a new school, but with great like-minded company & superb Nihhon sensei.

The teaching methodology is similar to children learning English in UK; different from schools teaching English & Mandarin in Singapore. I know from experience that it is definitely a better method of learning a language, especially the English Language. We are taught phonetics first. At the moment, the school has promotional offers for its courses.

Do check out its website :

http://www.beyondlang...­

If you like, join us !

Domo.

Kanpai,
kunle wink

Hi Kunle,

Thank you for sharing this new school for learning Japanese Language. Initially I was looking at Aoba Learning Centre as it looks really well-rounded for a person for me who's more to the budget end.
Will be considering Aoba or Beyond but key factors will include if the teacher is native Japanese or local, as well as the flexibility of schedule.
Personally prefer native teachers because they seem to be more patient, engaging and also well-learned in terms of culture and language.
Can you advise if the teacher in Beyond Language is native?

Cheers!

Jacques
Jia Y.
user 7957068
San Francisco, CA
Just adding my $0.02 worth:

Bunka's pretty good. I've taken all my lessons there so far, from Elementary 1 to Intermediate 4 (JLPT 3 level). The pace isn't too slow, the notes they provide are good and classes can be pretty damn fun if you have good classmates, and the right teacher. I highly recommend Torinomi-sensei! She's sweet, enthusiastic, patient, funny and quite cute haha. AND she's good at English! Plus her pronunciation is really clear. I had her for Int2 to Int4, and loved every minute of her lessons. Ando-sensei and Gima-sensei are quite nice too.

At Bunka, each course is 2 months long, and from Ele1 to Ele2 as well as Ele2 to Int1, you can only sign up for the next level after you've passed the exam for the current level. Because the beginner levels are in high demand, there is usually a queue and this means that you might be stuck wasting lots of time waiting for your next class to start. Theoretically it's possible to complete Int4 in 1 year (6 * 2 months = 12 months) but it'll probably take longer because of the waiting times.

Because of the long queues for Pre-Advanced classes, after Int4 I've decided to take Ikoma's JLPT 2 prep course this year. Will probably update on how they're like once lessons start in January.
Kristy
user 11068729
Singapore, SG
Just adding my $0.02 worth:

Bunka's pretty good. I've taken all my lessons there so far, from Elementary 1 to Intermediate 4 (JLPT 3 level). The pace isn't too slow, the notes they provide are good and classes can be pretty damn fun if you have good classmates, and the right teacher. I highly recommend Torinomi-sensei! She's sweet, enthusiastic, patient, funny and quite cute haha. AND she's good at English! Plus her pronunciation is really clear. I had her for Int2 to Int4, and loved every minute of her lessons. Ando-sensei and Gima-sensei are quite nice too.

At Bunka, each course is 2 months long, and from Ele1 to Ele2 as well as Ele2 to Int1, you can only sign up for the next level after you've passed the exam for the current level. Because the beginner levels are in high demand, there is usually a queue and this means that you might be stuck wasting lots of time waiting for your next class to start. Theoretically it's possible to complete Int4 in 1 year (6 * 2 months = 12 months) but it'll probably take longer because of the waiting times.

Because of the long queues for Pre-Advanced classes, after Int4 I've decided to take Ikoma's JLPT 2 prep course this year. Will probably update on how they're like once lessons start in January.

hi, i had the same situation as you. i was also from torinomi-sensei's class(intermediate 1-4), but sadly now she has left bunka.
however, i skipped to ikoma after Intermediate 4 because there were limited teachers..
when i went to ikoma, the teacher assessed my language abilities, and somehow, i was put together with the batch that was taking JLPT 3 prep course.
I didn't really know, and was quite disappointed to know it after few months of studying there, and eventually went back to bunka.
I am now studying at Bunka, pre-advanced 1 with gima-sensei.

hope this helps too!
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 391
Hi Kristy,

i have a question. Which level do you think you should be in if you are registered in Ikoma? and why were you disappointed?

If you are being put with the bunch taking JLPT 3 prep class, that's correct. Cos after you finish Bunka Intermediate 4, you are only around JLPT 3.

Given the amount of vocabulary that is being studied in Bunka and Ikoma, i think the teacher made a good choice to place you with the bunch taking JLPT 3 prep.

Kristy
user 11068729
Singapore, SG
Hi Kristy,

i have a question. Which level do you think you should be in if you are registered in Ikoma? and why were you disappointed?

If you are being put with the bunch taking JLPT 3 prep class, that's correct. Cos after you finish Bunka Intermediate 4, you are only around JLPT 3.

Given the amount of vocabulary that is being studied in Bunka and Ikoma, i think the teacher made a good choice to place you with the bunch taking JLPT 3 prep.

I thought i should be placed with the JLPT 2, because after intermediate 4, i should be able to "attain jlpt 3 cert" already. and so, when the teacher placed me with the JLPT 3 prep class, i was learning everything i had learned before, thus wasting time and money there. And i wasn't really sure because i think i joined them around march, and maybe if i were to join, it would be halfway through(and i won't catch anything)

i guess it's hard for me to jump to another school, as all schools have different methods of teaching and system. and i was also not used to ikoma's teaching method(using minna no nihongo and the print outs)