Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Joel
user 10944291
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
I'm attending Ikoma now. The materials are really good and I like the ambience and the professionalism.

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm trying to start learning Japanese soon. Torn between Bunka and Ikoma. Which one would be better?

I understand that Ikoma is more of a balanced school with equal emphasis on all parts (oral, listening, reading, writing) right from the start, whereas Bunka has different focus depending on the level(grammar for beginners).

Which one is more advisable? Im thinking that I need the grammar explanations and drilling, whereas for listening I can probably just make do with conversation tapes or japanese songs. I am worried about the reading though since Bunka has significantly less vocab than the other schools.

Also, time is a factor for me(not the most important). Ikoma has the full time courses while Bunka doesn't.

What are the cons for Ikoma?
A former member
I also heard quite good feedback about Ikoma but the only drawback is the school Fee. Personally, i studied Japanese Language with JCS for 4 years but due to work, i've to drop off my 5th year (Further Advanced) with JCS.

Not sure about now but i think maybe the class size is big and depending on the sensei, i find myself still very lacking though i studied 4 years with JCS.

For JLPT 3, i think it's not too tough, the revision class conducted by some japanese school like JCS should help you to pass the exam. JLPT 2 is more difficult, so i think picking a good school does helps.
A former member
Post #: 2
Deciding between Ikoma because they got full time lessons. I very kan chiong spider one. Want to learn fast fast and get my JLPT. now got time also. But I heard Bunka's method of teaching the 6 forms first is better because less confusing later on. Also, heard Bunka's class is make you die first but later on as you progress up the level, it's not as tough.

True?

Still headache about the course.
Chen Ziwei A.
user 12046914
Singapore, SG
Post #: 3
Hi wenyan san, I am alwin. Can you kindly recommend the book to us which you used for listening? I am quite bad at listening and hope to improve at it. Thank you very much.

­
Actually, I think both of you are correct. It depends on what you mean by "could only bring you that far".
The JLPT is a test, so we can all improve our score by taking past-year papers and going through books that are directed at this test.
However, tests are quite limited by nature and are quite different from 'real' Japanese, especially with regards to the Listening Test. Which Japanese do you know of speaks in such a 'roundabout' way as per the test? :)
The new N level will no longer have past year papers. So I guess there is no way to target for tests like the JLPT anymore.

Actually the syllabus and the format are quite similar, so doing past year papers will probably help quite a bit.
Of course, you are right to say that there will be some differences.

Actually, many people do speak in roundabout ways in daily life, especially when they're deliberating something, trying to make a decision. You can't say they are far-fetched situations. It's just that the Japanese you come into contact with probably try to speak in simpler terms whether consciously or unconsciously, or they're not good enough friends with you to want to seek your opinion on issues they want help with. I think it'll be too myopic to say that it is far from 'real' Japanese, just because the Japanese people you come into contact with or the Jmedia you're exposed to doesn't use as much of such Japanese language. There is a reason why test takers who live in Japan score significantly higher in listening than test takers outside of Japan, and I think it has to do with listening being 'real' Japanese that can be heard in Japan. When it comes to JLPT1, it's more the kanji and grammar parts that are far from daily Japanese.

There will always be ways to target tests only, even if it's a new syllabus. You sound like you don't like such learning methods, but I think you shouldn't brush them aside as being useless for improving 'real' Japanese ability. I personally found that the book I used for listening helped me greatly in my listening skills and I was able to comprehend a lot more of whatever Japanese that falls on my ears. It did for me in weeks what years and years of exposure to Jmedia did for you. And any kanji or grammar I learnt while studying for JLPT is a step forward in my overall Japanese ability.

wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 61
Hi wenyan san, I am alwin. Can you kindly recommend the book to us which you used for listening? I am quite bad at listening and hope to improve at it. Thank you very much.

Hi Alwin. I actually posted the name of the book some time earlier..

There, found it..

I scored 44/100 for JLPT2 in 2007, but I turned it into 73/100 for JLPT1 in 2008. What I used was this book called 日本語能力­試験1級・2級­28日完成試験­に出る聴解­ which I bought barely a month before the test. TV/anime etc. are all good, except that I have little interest in them so I hardly watched any, and it was no wonder my listening was horrendous. But with some exam techniques and listening practice that that 'magical' book gave me (well, it did work a miracle on me), I managed to improve my listening score by a large margin.

Unfortunately, that series (which also has books for grammar, vocab and reading comprehension) seems to only have books for higher levels, i.e. not for JLPT3/4 (equivalent to new JLPT N4/N5). However, I'm sure there are other listening practice books out in the market. Just find one that looks interesting enough to you such that you will be disciplined enough to go through the whole book...
A former member
I do also need some advice...im torn b/w decision to chose either JCS or hougang.What i know for hougang is that i get more attention while attending the course.Do anyone know the price for JCS elementary 1 ? can't find the fees on their website -.-'' thx :D
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 433
Hi,

Price for JCS Elementary is cheap. Around 600 for the whole year. But don't be deceived by the cost.

1分钱1分货。­

If you get what i mean.
A former member
Don't go for jcs or cc . My friends & classmates who attended jcs or cc for 3-5years are same level with me now . I just started to attend japanese class since 2009 September . I will recommend you Bunka for Elementary 1 , and you can change to Ikoma later on because Ikoma will make you stronger for listening & speaking but Bunka the grammar foundation is good . If you have time , you can attend both school at the same time like what I am doing now . They both are good school . But a few Bunka teachers don't know how to teach and make you sleep , must choose a good sensei :-)
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 434
I was from Hougang. =)