addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Question for those working in Japan or previously worked there

Question for those working in Japan or previously worked there

hamtaro
user 4593587
Singapore, SG
Post #: 77
first of all, is there anyone who found employment while over there? meaning that you found a job there, you were not transferred from an MNC somewhere else.
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 43
Does JET programme count? http://www.sg.emb-jap...­
It's a job, but it cannot become a career as there's a 5-year cap.
Sebastien
user 8851201
Singapore, SG
Post #: 4
first of all, is there anyone who found employment while over there? meaning that you found a job there, you were not transferred from an MNC somewhere else.

I found a job there after being on the JET programme for 2 years. Japanese language skills (1kyuu) are necessary. It also depends in which industry you have working experience. There are lots of recruiters and sites like daijob.com that can help you. Good luck!
hamtaro
user 4593587
Singapore, SG
Post #: 78
hmm should have excluded JET lol anyway thanks for the replies though.

hope this makes my question clearer: anyone went there to look for a job without a job visa and found employment?
Victor
aspenx
Tokyo, JP
Post #: 214
I know someone who did that, but I've lost contact with her.

I think it requires ALOT of luck above all the usual credentials.
Sebastien
user 8851201
Singapore, SG
Post #: 5
It really depends on which industry you are working: if it's IT, there might be opportunities, teaching might be another matter. Why don't you go to daijob.com or crisscross career to have an idea of what kind of jobs is currently available?
hamtaro
user 4593587
Singapore, SG
Post #: 79
already did it and still doing it. thanks anyway.

i was just curious on how high my chances would be if i just went there to look for a job, compared to searching online, since companies cant talk to me unless they use Skype or something similar
hamtaro
user 4593587
Singapore, SG
Post #: 80
my japanese friend told me that JP companies dont recognise Singaporeans as native speakers of english so we need to possess TOEIC qualifications. i was shocked to hear that (not of TOEIC, but more of the fact that we are not treated as native speakers). anyone knows how true is this?
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 44
my japanese friend told me that JP companies dont recognise Singaporeans as native speakers of english so we need to possess TOEIC qualifications. i was shocked to hear that (not of TOEIC, but more of the fact that we are not treated as native speakers). anyone knows how true is this?

First of all, you must ask yourself why a Japanese company would want to hire you instead of just hiring a local Japanese, which to them is much much lower risk in many many ways. For example, if they hire you, they will have to be responsible for sponsoring your work visa, and they will also be wary that you will not conform to their Japanese work culture. Unless you are a lot cheaper than the locals or you have some skills that are very rare among Japanese, such as your English ability, then it might make sense to hire you.

So if you're planning on banking upon your English ability, you must have the confidence that it is good enough. You should be able to demonstrate your English ability through your cover letter. I suggest that you mention somewhere that throughout your 10+ years of formal education in Singapore, the medium of instruction is English, as it is not a very well-known fact (and in case you didn't know, English was only recently standardized as the medium of instruction in schools in 1980 if I recall correctly).

Also, you must accept the fact that many Singaporeans do have rather poor English, with poor spoken English (e.g. 'th' becomes 'd', stress on wrong syllable) and poor grammar (e.g. use past perfect tense wrongly). Just listen to how Ms. Ris Low spoke when she was interviewed, and you should see why people from other countries are reluctant to consider Singaporeans as native speakers of English.

If you are serious about wanting to land a job in Japan, I suggest that you put some thoughts into what you can offer to the Japanese companies you have in mind to justify the risk they have to take in hiring you. If you can write an outstanding cover letter, I'm sure they will be interested in contacting you to find out more about you. If you cannot even get their attention through your application documents, I doubt you will land the job eventually anyway. Unless, of course, you think that you can wow them with the first impression you give them when they see you in person (you must be some really charismatic person!), I see no additional benefit in travelling to Japan, as your chances of landing a job would still remain close to zero.

My 2 cents =) Good luck!
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 45
hmm should have excluded JET lol anyway thanks for the replies though.

hope this makes my question clearer: anyone went there to look for a job without a job visa and found employment?

Also, I'm curious why you are not considering the JET programme, as it is a very good platform to get yourself a few years of work experience in Japan and thus increasing your employability in Japan in general, as you would then have experience in Japanese work culture and working with Japanese people, and your Japanese language skills would improve greatly too.

You might also be interested in this, which I found off another forum.

Work in Japan - UNIQLO Japan Overseas Hire Program

UNIQLO Japan Overseas Hire Program

Program Highlights

-2 years training in Japan
-Work overseas at UNIQLO store locations after training
-Attractive remuneration package, housing allowance, Japanese language support

Requirements

-Has obtained or will obtain a bachelors degree by August 2010
(No Japanese skills required)

Recruitment Talk Details

NTU - 3rd February 2010
NUS - 4th, 5th February 2010
Open (Concorde Hotel) - 6th February 2010

Refer to PDF file for more details
PDF can be downloaded from http://www.mediafire....­

You might notice that a bachelor's degree is required for most jobs in Japan, not because they really need you to have a degree for the job, but because it's much harder to get your work visa approved if you don't have one. So if you don't have a degree, I'm sorry to say that your chances of landing a job in Japan just dropped drastically.