align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › What type of events would you like to see in Japanese meetup?

What type of events would you like to see in Japanese meetup?

wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 59
Feel like Alice in Wonderland. There are takai (expensive) Jim Carey and cheap Jim carey. Like sushi also have $3 and expensive until $50 one. Do give detail how's the secret hang out like. Then maybe organiser can organise a cheaper one?

Yes, there are cheap 'Japanese' places and expensive Japanese places. But what makes you think the Japanese expats will want to hang out at the cheap 'Japanese' places? $3 sushi tastes very different from $50 sushi. The cheap 'Japanese' places target local consumers who want a taste of Japanese and can't afford the really good stuff. If you want to hang out where the Japanese expats (note that the keyword is 'expat', and not just any Japanese native people) hang out, be prepared to pay more.

You could, for instance, start by becoming a member of the Japanese Association of Singapore (http://www.jas.org.sg...­. Membership entrance fee is *only* $5,000. I'm sure you'll find lots of Japanese expats hanging out there.

Alternatively, you could just hang out at Liang Court Macs and Kino and try to ambush the non-expat Japanese who aren't earning 5- or 6-figure salaries every month.
Victor
aspenx
Tokyo, JP
Post #: 232
Yea...

The Japanese expats earn nearly twice their usual local salary when they come to work in Singapore...

Can't imagine them getting sushi from the places I've been to here. I'm sure they can't either.
Avriel
user 12050005
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
Trip to Japan! Lol

i second this! (: Totally looking forward to something like this
Hero L.
user 10910335
Singapore, SG
what about going to Japanese summer festival together ? or their sports festival.
sorry if it has been mentioned already laughing
LyyyN
user 9356663
Singapore, SG
Post #: 8
When I was I Japan, we went to mountain and set a campfire. Bake imo (uhm.. what's the English for imo? Indonesia/Malay call it "ubi"), then tell ghost stories.. I hate the ghost story part though I love the yaki imo part.. :) There's no mountain here.. we might be able to simulate this in any camp area, or BBQ park :)
A former member
Post #: 4
Trip to Japan! Lol

i second this! (: Totally looking forward to something like this

Yeah. I'm agreeable to this too!
A former member
Post #: 5
When I was I Japan, we went to mountain and set a campfire. Bake imo (uhm.. what's the English for imo? Indonesia/Malay call it "ubi"), then tell ghost stories.. I hate the ghost story part though I love the yaki imo part.. :) There's no mountain here.. we might be able to simulate this in any camp area, or BBQ park :)

Sounds good!
Well… we can make do with Bukit Timah. There's a nice open spot at the summit for a picnic.
You'll have to climb quite a flight of steps though... treat it like a hike? hehe!
A former member
Post #: 6
Can we host an English In Conversation Meetup for our Japanese friends here in Singapore?

**Main Objective** would be to help them with their conversational English & pronunciation. A friendly, informal environment of normal conversation of any topic.

**Other Objectives** A friendly exchange between local Singaporeans and Japanese living here. And, a platform to widen circle of friends for both sides.
Zen L.
user 11953293
Singapore, SG

Hi,

That sounds cool. We get to learn more from them and vice versa. Agreeable. And of course, trip to Japan would be best! It's a really huge country. Didn't manage to cover everywhere when I was there... And it was super cold!~

Oh, hi guys, I'm new to this group. Do show me your guidance.

Zen :)
aaron
randomswing
Singapore, SG
Post #: 86
I'm back! Dropping by to say hi. I know I haven't been active at all this few years, but that doesn't mean I'm leaving the group entirely. I plan on being a member/assistant organizer (if anyone actually still wants me) till this online meetup dissolves.

Of course I won't be around that often, but I'll definitely drop in on random events when I need a kibun tenkan from school/work.

P.S. Hasumi, do let WY be an assistant organizer when she comes back in Aug. We all know she's awesome.