addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › What type of events would you like to see in Japanese meetup?

What type of events would you like to see in Japanese meetup?

A former member
Post #: 1
Gokon pary would be fun
idris
user 11764868
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
Can we host an English In Conversation Meetup for our Japanese friends here in Singapore?

**Main Objective** would be to help them with their conversational English & pronunciation. A friendly, informal environment of normal conversation of any topic.

**Other Objectives** A friendly exchange between local Singaporeans and Japanese living here. And, a platform to widen circle of friends for both sides.

i second this
great idea for a social meetup
will be really fun to experience
Shyeen F.
user 12777467
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
How about making japanese food together?

simple food like Takoyaki, or okonomiyaki, with Nihon-jin?
Darwin Z.
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 47
How about making japanese food together?

simple food like Takoyaki, or okonomiyaki, with Nihon-jin?

I agree. I like to make sushi myself if possible. I know is not easy.
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 442
Let's see if anyone can help.

Any other ideas? Kinda out of ideas. haha
User3050
user 10105417
Singapore, SG
Post #: 21

Conversation meetup group !! with one enforced rule : " only allowed to speak in japanese " . haha .
Darwin Z.
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 57
I agree with only allow to speak in japanese language.
preoccupied
preoccupied
Singapore, SG
Post #: 11
Japanese language only.. seems overly restrictive if the meet-up is aimed at appreciation of Japanese culture such as art, food, music, etc

tongue..
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 70
Haha a Japanese-only conversation meetup would be interesting. Of course this entire meetup group was set up for the purpose of everything and anything Japanese, as well as language and cultural exchange, but we could also have events for more specific purposes.

Unfortunately in my honest opinion (warning: ranting starts here) this meetup group has lost its focus over the years, with a largely dormant "leadership team", and the members are not blameless either.

I'm not sure why the last active assistant organizer who had put in so much effort for this group decided to step down, but personally the last few meetups I've been to were very disappointing. In one meetup, half the people who attended weren't even aware that it was a welcome back gathering for an old member, despite it being clearly stated in the meetup description, and in another, ZERO out of 6 who RSVP-ed turned up. None bothered to explain why and none seemed to be the least perturbed by the inconvenience they caused the event host. I could see why an assistant organizer would become disheartened. I used to really like this meetup group, but now I don't even want to attend because it'll just be a waste of my time.

There is also plenty of stuff that the remaining "leadership team" could do to improve the meetup greatly. Most of them are dormant, while some of them seem to just treat this website as a convenient platform to meet some people when they're very bored. Some events have dates shifted around with no explanation, no consideration to the people who RSVP-ed. Some events seem to have nothing even remotely related to Japan/Japanese. To me, being an assistant organizer means more than having your name on the left panel and more than having the right to post event dates and venues. What I see is a lack of attempt at organizing. Organizers don't organize, leadership team doesn't lead, so this meetup group is going nowhere.

I look at the state of affairs at this group now, and I browse through the All That Korea meetup website, and the difference is shockingly stark. And then I reminisce the good old days when I first joined this group and sigh crying
A former member
Post #: 48
cosplay! :D