I'm not a person for making a lot of rules, but the recent spate of meetings plagued by no-shows tells me I have to either institute some policies or step down as organizer, so here goes:
1) Please RSVP ASAP after receiving notice of the next meeting. You can always switch later.
2) If you RSVP "yes" or "maybe," indicate your book choice (from the current list!) with your RSVP. An RSVP that doesn't have a book choice will be considered a "no." You can always change your book choice, and we include books or short stories or essays so that if you're not sure you can finish a book before the meeting, you have rewarding choices. Also, most books on the list carry forward from one month to the next, so if you read half of a long book and want to discuss it, that's great. It will be on the list again the next month, so come back and discuss the second half. In other words, the book list is super-flexible, but the need to choose a book when you RSVP is non-negotiable.
3) If you RSVP "yes" or "maybe" please also email at email@example.com me from your email account, nor through the meetup interface, and include a phone number where I can reach you. You need only do this once unless the info changes as I will keep your number on file. I will use this information for the sole purpose of confirming your RSVP by voice contact the weekend before the meetup. The reason for this is that I have to go through last minute preparations for the meeting and go to the venue if there are "yes" or "maybe" RSVP's on the site, whether or not anyone else shows up. This can lead to grrrrrr moments.
4) Any "Maybe" not converted to a "Yes" by the Sunday immediately before the meeting will be considered a "No."
5) If I can't contact any "Yes" or "Maybe" RSVP-er the weekend before the meetup, that person's response will be considered a "No."
6) Please remember this is a small group that relies on active participants, not names on a web page, so give your RSVPs and attendance the same weight you would for any social or business event where the host is putting in work and needs accurate information.
I hope I don't sound like somebody's mean ol' gym teacher, but being live an let live about this stuff has NOT been working of lately.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|Meeting theme suggestions||March 4, 2012 3:29 PM||Anne|
|The list for the September 2011 meeting||August 7, 2011 11:00 PM||Anne|
|January booklist||February 4, 2011 11:00 AM||Susan E.|
|October 2010 meeting info and booklist||October 2, 2010 1:56 PM||Anne|
|RSVP and Attendance Policy, Very Important!!!||May 21, 2008 5:22 PM||Anne|
|About Jax Freestyle Book Club for Real Readers||May 3, 2008 7:37 PM||Anne|