No BS Just Jeeps Virginia Beach Message Board › Local 4x4 Shops

Local 4x4 Shops

Steve
XJ_phr34k
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 303
I love Gregory's too. I broke 2 drive shafts in my first XJ, it was my first Jeep and thought it was invincible. Gregory's built my 3rd and I couldn't break it.
A former member
Post #: 9
I worked at Production Off Road part time for almost two years. I still have a connection there if you need something let me know i will do my best to hook you up.
A former member
Post #: 32
Rob N
Socar
Group Organizer
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 562
That's a cool site Bob. I saved it as a fav.
A former member
Post #: 46
I have had great experiences with 'The Muffler Shop' off of Holland road. They have always done right with my mufflers, any welding I needed, and my inspections. Just my opinion, I know theres alot of other shops out there.
A former member
Post #: 63
a driveshaft/drivetrain shop ive had good luck with is Standard Parts at military and providence. ive always gotten a quick turnaround and good prices.
A former member
Post #: 45
Eastern T & A hooked me up. I needed a new lower bushing for my RE tractbar and Energy Suspention didnt make one to fit( they checked there and some other company then called me back pretty fast) So they found what I needed @ RE and gave me #'s. I Called RE and they couldnt get it to me for 5+ days. I called ETA and they had it delivered on over night. RE would not do this for me but ETA got it done. Now the heep is G2G.
Nurpler
user 4913152
Yakkabog, UZ
Post #: 54
Had to get my muffler replaced today. Since it was put on by Meinke and still under warranty, it was only fitting to head there. Glad I did.
If you need muffler work, or brake work that you don't wanna do yourself, the Meinke on Laskin next to the 7-11 is AWESOME. (and they are rebuilding a YJ from scratch too).
You'll be hard pressed to find customer service like these guys. And, the quality of their work is top-notch too. Talk to the manager or any of the mechs and you'll realize really quickly why its a great shop. They know what they're doing, like what they're doing, and know how to do it well.
I prefer to do my own work on the TJ but when it requires going to a shop - those are the folks that are going to get my business again.
Two thumbs up.

...and Ditto on ETA. Some may complain about their cost but they do make it worth it.
Josh P.
user 5402708
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 2
Production off road?.more like ?POOR duction? off road. I had so many problems from them. They messed my Jeep up good and did not give a crap about it. Not only that but talked to me like I did not know what I was talking about. Anyone knows, if someone owns a jeep, 9 out of 10 times the jeep owner knows their jeep more than the manufacturer themselves.
So here is what I had done.
? Clutch replacement
? Lift kit install
? Electric fan install
? Tail light switch install
Here is what went wrong with each
? Clutch replacement:
o Clutch squeaks to this day. Production refuses to look at it without charging me. Has squeaked since the day I brought it home

? Lift kit install
o I never got my Drop pitman arm. Still driving around with a 4.5?lift on original factory one
o When I drove it off the lot there was rattling, after further investigation by myself, I noticed most if not all of the nuts and bolts used to hold the suspension on my jeep was hand tight. Good thing I noticed before I got into an accident. Took them an entire day, not to mention another day of me missing work to get that fixed.
o When I had my recent axle work done (see below for why it was needed) I was told that the person who put in my lift, bent my track bar to make it fit (Perhaps because I did not have the proper pitman arm) and that needed to be replaced ($200.00)

? Electrical fan install
o Did not put my overspill bottle back in the jeep. I did not notice this until I got to DC and my engine overheated and cracked my radiator about 300 miles from home. When I called the owner of Production off road and talked to him about it, he told me to ?LIMP IT HOME? and he would not provide towing for me. So I took another day and a half driving my jeep home and trying to keep the engine cool after placing a JB weld patch over the radiator crack. When I brought it into the shot the Mechanic told me that the fan was not powerful enough to cool my ?ENGINE? I asked him, it?s supposed to cool the radiator and the fluid in it. But he promptly told me that I was wrong and the fan is supposed to cool the ENGINE itself. They placed a patch on the hole and put my bottle back in but charged me for the patch work and the labor. WTF over. I was stranded in DC for a day and they did not give a crap about compensation, Or making sure I got back ok.
o One month later my Engine seized going 60MPH. The mechanic told me it was because my engine overheating caused a major crack in my head gasket. My cooling fluid leaked into my oil bay and caused foam. (That?s when the crank shaft whips up the fluid from the oil pan because it?s to high and causes improper lubrication of the cylinders) This happening at 60MPH in gear cause my rear differential to blow as well. All in all it was $6470.00 in repairs to my jeep. I now have a new engine, and 2 new rebuilt axles. But, I would not have needed them if Production off road would have done their job the right way the first time when I paid them $1000. Or perhaps if I did not have to ?LIMP? my jeep back from DC I would have never had the Head gasket problem. My jeep only had 110 thousand miles on it.

I would not recommend you take any vehicle to them you want working. My feeling is that they just care to work on their own show vehicles and get the money to do it from screwing their customers.
A former member
Post #: 128
Thanks for that info. How are they on Parts prices. If they are cheaper than the other shops then we could USE them for parts and do the work ourselves. Not to try and keep them in great buisness after a hard shafting like that, but hey, saving pennies and all that.

Whats the real deal with the clutch squeak??? Mine does it too but more when its good and warmed up or I just went through a really deep puddle. I have heard that jeeps just do that when they get a little dirty, but if its really something bad, please let me know so I can get mine checked.