North Jersey Anime and Manga Message Board Anime! › Recommendations for future anime meetups

Recommendations for future anime meetups

Geoffrey Y.
Octosaurus
North Arlington, NJ
Post #: 6
Anime List: North Jersey Anime and Manga on Meetup.com:
This list is all the anime that we have officially shown at our monthly meetings.
https://docs.google.c...­

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-----------

UPDATED Notes:
Whoever is the meetup host, they can have final decision on choosing the anime. (1 new one and an old one).

However, if members feel that the chosen anime selection is something that is inappropriate, please let us know through the comments section of the meetup, in case the host is not aware of the offending content.

Newer anime: can be anytime within the last 5 years.
Older anime: (Current year - 5) and older.

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-----------

I'm just starting this new thread, as I cannot find the discussion thread for Recommendations, without being an off-topic of something else.

I'm not really sure if we have an official criteria for what we can and cannot show.

I'm assuming its non-hentai, wins approval for Justin (our leader), has appeal to most general audiences, and is something that everybody has not already seen yet (which may be pretty hard, nowadays).

I remember Heather and Luckie suggested Shigurui. And Justin mentioned Yakitate Japan, as well.

I'll list a few just to start, though I still think Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka would be an excellent pick :)

(in no particular order)
Angel Beats
Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror (Bakeneko - 3 episodes)
Beelzebub
Detroit Metal City
Hajime no Ippo
Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)
Kemonozume
King of Thorn (2 hrs movie, but its safe to stop an hour in)
Kurokami
Ninku
Nijuu-Mensou no Musume (Daughter of 20-Faces)
Saishuuheiki Kanojo (SaiKano)
Shakugan no Shana
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Ken`ichi (Kenichi: History's Strongest Disciple)
Summer Wars (2 hrs movie, but its safe to stop an hour in)
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
Yozakura Shijuusou ~ Yozakura Quartet ~

Feel free to repost any anime in further replies, maybe it'll help show it sooner than later...

I'm not good at picking out mecha anime, so someone else will have to do the honors :)

Note: Justin: feel free to edit the criteria you'd like to show.

Justin Prince M.
ff663
Tenafly, NJ
Post #: 21
Ooo... Great rec's. Yea, thanks for creating this thread. I was going to get to it at some point. =D

Criteria is simple: NO hentai. It would be better if it's an anime most of the attendees haven't seen yet, but it's not necessary. Sometimes it's good to revisit a show. As for mass appeal, it most certainly doesn't have to be. It can be gory and perverse, or it can be the shoujo with the most sparkles, or both!
A former member
Post #: 1
Guess I'll pitch in with one.

Genshiken
(From wikipedia entry)
Genshiken (げんしけん­?) is a manga series by Shimoku Kio about a college club for otaku (extremely obsessed fans of various media) and the lifestyle its members pursue. The title is a shortening of the club's official name, Gendai Shikaku Bunka Kenkyūkai (現代視覚文­化研究会?), or "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture". The series has also been adapted into an anime directed by Tsutomu Mizushima

It's an exemplary piece of the "slice-of-life" genre of manga/anime.
Patrick T.
user 13723844
Bergenfield, NJ
Post #: 4
I have a couple of suggestions.

Time Bokan
An old fashioned monster of the week show about a group of time travelers trying to return to their own time while foiling the plans of an incompitent trio of villans.

Excel Saga
A nonsensical comedy show that attempts to parody as many genres as physically possible.

Welcome to the NHK
A Black comedy about the day to day struggles of a paranoid hikikomori.

for a mecha show
Dai-Guard
A team fights extraterrestrials with a long unused giant robot that had been come to be viewed as nothing more than a promotional tool.
A former member
Post #: 2
I have a couple of suggestions.

Time Bokan
An old fashioned monster of the week show about a group of time travelers trying to return to their own time while foiling the plans of an incompitent trio of villans.

Excel Saga
A nonsensical comedy show that attempts to parody as many genres as physically possible.

Welcome to the NHK
A Black comedy about the day to day struggles of a paranoid hikikomori.

for a mecha show
Dai-Guard
A team fights extraterrestrials with a long unused giant robot that had been come to be viewed as nothing more than a promotional tool.

Damnit. "Welcome to the NHK" ruined my weekend mood. I am now feeling quite down. Urgh.
edit: After digesting it for a while, I'd say NHK is my favorite anime. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Dan S.
user 14138303
Somerset, NJ
Post #: 3
I Finally organized my anime collection and figured out what I had that I like:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Fractale,
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Clannad
Azumanga Diaoh
Ah! My Goddess
Beelzebub
Nichijou (It's only a few weeks old)
Angel Beats!
Working!!
MM!
Minami Ke
Skip Beat
Lucky Star
Kanon
Mai Hime
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Kämpfer
Full Metal Panic

There are many others, and I know I repeated some stuff other people said
Cari B
user 14598761
Belleville, NJ
Post #: 1
Hey all... I have a bunch of anime myself, plus a Netflix subscription, and a crunchyroll premiere membership so as far as showing anime, I have access to a lot (legally biggrin ). I also own my own co-op which is pretty much a glorified apartment in Teaneck and I don't mind hosting anime watching or gaming events. I have a PS3, PS2 and an XBOX360. I also have a 40 in flat screen and a fairly decent sized couch/living room.

Just a little about me, I think I'm probably one of your older members but I grew up in Closter, NJ, graduated from NVRHS Demarest in 2000 (I know, I just aged myself). I have a chemistry degree from Montclair State University, a masters in education from there as well and I'm currently going back for my second masters in chemistry.

As far as anime I have watched and recommend, well it's probably easier to just forward you to my anime-planet.com profile... http://www.anime-plan...­

I can provide a list of what I own if anyone is interested.

-Cari
Dan S.
user 14138303
Somerset, NJ
Post #: 4
Lawl, finally someone that I know is technically older than me, unless your birthday was less then a week ago. I'm currently watching 24 animes (that air currently) not including OVA's, pretty much 70% of this season. It's REALLY consuming my free time >.<

The irony in it, I go Anime Boston and I fall behind in my anime watching and I have a massive backlog of stuff that I watch regularly (I can't believe I admitted that).

btw, I have 118 animes (Probably more) on my computer stored on a hard drive, and own about 10 series on DVD, anybody is welcome to see it during the next meetup, it would help me give recommendations based on how I set it up.
Cari B
user 14598761
Belleville, NJ
Post #: 2
Well, since my birthday is in February, I am officially older... what do you like from the recent season stuff? I'm watching Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, Gosick, Hana-Saku Iroha, Kore wa Zombie desu ka? and I have a few more I'm planning to watch but haven't gotten to plus some older stuff that I know I watched a bunch of but I can't remember how much... so I'm re-watching. Also, on DVD I own prob about 20+ complete series plus movies.
Dan S.
user 14138303
Somerset, NJ
Post #: 5
Well, since my birthday is in February, I am officially older... what do you like from the recent season stuff? I'm watching Deadman Wonderland, Steins;Gate, Gosick, Hana-Saku Iroha, Kore wa Zombie desu ka? and I have a few more I'm planning to watch but haven't gotten to plus some older stuff that I know I watched a bunch of but I can't remember how much... so I'm re-watching. Also, on DVD I own prob about 20+ complete series plus movies.

Seen Kore Wa Zombie Desuka last season, loved it
the stuff i'm watching that airs weekly... umm..

Gosick (saving for later only seen 2 episodes)
Beelzebub
X-men
The World God Only Knows (Season 2)
Steins;Gate
Softenni
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi (Only saw the first episode)
Nichijou (probably the funniest of this season)
Maria†Holic Alive
Kaiji
Hidan no Aria
Hanasaku Iroha
Dog Days
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (Seen only 2 episodes so far)
C - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (So far its pretty good)
Battle Girls - Time paradox
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
A Channel
Deadman Wonderland
Seikon no Qwaser II
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Fairy Tail
Bleach
Moshidora (Has a new episode every night for the next week)

I think that's enough for now :p

There are more animes out this season, I tend to give it a chance for 1 episode then stop watching it if I don't like it

I usually don't watch anywhere near this many all at once... its the anime "ecchi" ban coming out in tokyo this summer that is having sooooo many series being pumped out all at the same time.

Last season the bests were Madoka Magica and Fractale, there were a few others here and there, but no where near as good as those 2