Emmanuel L.
exlemor
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for something that the JED doesn't seem to have or perhaps it's because I haven't found it and I'm hoping that someone here has and can direct me...

There are a TON of Google Map integration solutions that will let you click on a Marker and display some cute thing in a box - some even with some text and pictures but what I need is:

A Google Map that can integrate in Joomla preferably via a Component (or if need be a Module) where once way points/markers/locations have been entered will allow a side module or a module below to reflect the new data associated with that location when you click on it... or other way of saying this:

map - 3-4 markers, when you click on a marker instead of the popup appearing on the map instead it updates via Ajax a column on the right or below the map.

The CLOSEST I have found is HotSpots for Joomla but I'm hoping for a different alternative [I don't mind paying for it].

I even have looked at the Store Locator twist/idea but the problem is that the data on the right / sidebar can't be edited to include a bunch of images/text...

Something similar to http://travelogic.int...­ - if you click on the ugly markers, the content changes on the right...

Thanks everyone,

Emmanuel.
matt s.
user 11102900
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 6
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are looking for, and if you haven't found a component it may be that you can modify something that is close?

We built the following per client spec because nothing available did what the client needed: http://www.seymourdun...­

The key specs that were custom built are the way dealers are grouped together (say in CA region) and upon clicking on the dealer address listing at the bottom of the page we automatically map to that dealer on the map. Let me know if you have any simple questions, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Or we are always available to assist more if you are interested in partnering on the work.

Matt
Jennifer G.
user 9435710
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 35
i haven't done anything identical to this either. yet, we did something weird with vanguardcleaning.com/locations. (this is not my client - i was subcontracted.)

this is google maps plugin and then the links in the tabs link to a contact which is handled with contact enhanced component.

as contacts are added to contact enhanced, the map automatically populates with the location by means of a php script added to contact enhanced.

the full version of contact enhanced includes a module so that you can display a contact in a module. not sure if you could have the map be in the main content area and then have the sidebar change when the location is clicked though - that sounds complicated.

maybe, having a map in the sidebar and have the main content area pull and display the contact is a better option - except that the google maps plugin is just that ... a content plugin. not a module. but if you could find a map module that can handle multiple locations, you could have their pop up marker link to the contact which could display in the main content area. (a contact does not have to have a form as can be seen on vanguard. none of those contacts have forms displayed and are using multiple extra fields to display the location/contact information.)

hopefully that made sense. i'm kinda thinking out loud here.

:) jenn
Emmanuel L.
exlemor
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Jen and Matt,

Thanks for the help. I don't think your suggestion could work in this case but it's definitely out of the box thinking and that's great ;)

But the client is really adamant about being able to replicate what there is on that site, clicking the map (and not the outside area) to made the sidebar/text area change and not the other way around...

humm more hunting... ;)

This is such a good idea, I'm surprised someone hasn't built it yet.
Cheers,

Emmanuel.
Jennifer G.
user 9435710
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 36
you know what you might do is approach an extension developer on a third-party extension that gets you close and ask him/her if they would be willing to do a customization for you (for pay of course). they might be willing and it's worth a shot as they know their extension better than anyone else.

or

this could be YOUR opportunity! you know you always wanted to be an extension developer.... ;)
Emmanuel L.
exlemor
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Hi Jennifer,

haha on the extension developer - not that skilled yet for that sort of challenge ;) as for the extension developer who has the closest thing I already approached them and they weren't interested even when I offered payment. As for the idea of a 3rd party developer beyond that i doubt the customer would want to pay for that missing piece.

My suspicion is that the client will live with the 'almost there' solution.
vs paying for it

Cheers,

Emmanuel.
Jennifer G.
user 9435710
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 37
;) I'm not that skilled yet either.

Totally understand the money and "almost there" on the client side as well.

Good discussion regardless.

Jenn
Lynette T.
user 10119379
Pleasant Hill, CA
Post #: 19
Emmanuel,

JEvents Locations (addon for JEvents extension) listed these 3 features, among others, that may be what you are looking for.

• Embedded maps with address lookups and variable zoom using a third party maps service (Currently only Google Maps is supported).
  • Show a list with all your locations (table format and blog layout)
  • Easily create menu items and modules restricted to specific cities or states

I am just about to start setting up locations for one of my client sites, so I can let you know in the next week.

~ Lynette
Emmanuel L.
exlemor
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Lynette,

Thanks for responding but I've looked at JEvents Locations now and it doesn't mimic what happens when you click on a Marker on the Map such as on this map:

http://travelogic.int...­

But that was an interesting idea/approach - thanks!

Cheers,

Emmanuel.