addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Urban Jews PDX Meetup Group Message Board › Building community starts with brunch

Building community starts with brunch

Sarah L.
SarahLiebman
Portland, OR
An email with Rosh Hashanah information for everyone, including many free service options will go out next week.

If you build it ...
Build Community with Us!

Machar starts Sunday, Sept. 21!

Thinking about it and want to learn more and meet the other Macharniks? Come to brunch.

Brunch Launch/Orientation

Come to my place for bagels and bellinis. Schmooze with Macharniks from this year and last year! Find out more about the program.

Please RSVP if at all possible.

8712 N. Decatur
Portland OR 97203

Please don't use mapquest etc. I live in St. John's right off the St. John's bridge. Coming off the bridge make a left onto Ivanhoe, before the Burgerville. Make a left onto Baltimore and go down the hill. Then make a left onto Crawford and go one block before making a left on Alta. Alta deadends into Decatur and my building is the five story primary colored one. Buses stop along Lombard, I believe, which runs parallel to Ivanhoe one block up from the river. Call me if you get lost, 503 490 8632.

What is Machar?

Machar helps young adults in their 20s and 30s imagine and build the Jewish programming they want. Macharniks work together to plan many of the Urban Jews events we all enjoy. Last year Macharniks as a group planned over 40 events. They build Jewish networks. Macharniks take Florence Melton Adult mini -school classes as a group so they can develop Jewish literacy. To help them plan events, they receive mentorship, leadership skills training, access to event budget funds and help with event promotion.

Sounds great, but how much time will this take?

Macharniks meet for weekly Melton Jewish literacy classes (Tuesday nights 7:15- 9:30, at Neveh Shalom in SW during the school year) and one Sunday brunch a month where they work together on projects, planning, or leadership skills stuff. (Brunches will be held all over the city with emphasis on the east side and downtown/NW) Events or projects can be big or small so you decide the time commitment and how to make your project work with your schedule. A project is anything that will build community for young adult Jews. It could be a potluck, a bookclub, a first Thursday art show, a symposium, a concert, a community service project, etc. It could be a one-time event or an ongoing program.

Here are some comments from the first group of people to participate in Machar:

Having a Jewish connection has been invaluable. Machar has created a niche for me – full of family and support, learning and socializing. I have found friends and intellectual stimulation, as well as a new concept of my own Jewish identity.- Danit, age 31

Machar and Urban Jews have helped me immensely in becoming oriented with Portland, especially the Jewish scene. It's been a great surprise to move here and be able to so quickly and easily jump into a vibrant, young Jewish community. - Ben, age 25

I appreciate the chance that Machar has given me to collaborate with other young Jews. While there had been a few events yearly for ' young' adults, never before was I able to find a group interested in learning, celebrating, and socializing together as a community.
- Hannah, age 26

A few people have asked what Machar costs. We ask participants to contribute $15 a month to help support the program. If that is too much, don't worry about it. We have scholarship funds and we don't turn anyone away because of financial issues ever.