Mar 3, 2013 · 9:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
It's the season for winter sports, let's head up to the Catskills and spend the day Snowboarding or Skiing at Windham Mountain.
The Plan ...
We'll meet in front of the lift ticket sales windows at 9:00 AM. After a quick meet and greet, those that need rental equipment and instructional lessons will make those arrangements. We'll then split up and the experienced riders/skiers will join me as we head up the mountain for a few hours of fun.
At midday, we'll all meet at the lodge for lunch to laugh about how our mornings went and to nurse our bruises. After lunch I'll join the beginners on the slopes for a bit to help them out with their newly learned skills while the others can spend a few more hours exploring the mountain before we call it a day.
Then Important Stuff ...
- The regular cost for an adult weekend lift ticket at the mountain is $72.00 but special pricing of $39.95 is available for this date through Potter Brothers Ski Shop. The discount lift ticket MUST be purchased either online and mailed to you, or purchased at one of their stores in the upstate NY area -- there is one on the way to Windham if you are driving. If you plan to buy online, do so in enough time for the pass to get to you by mail.
- Rentals on mountain for Skis and Snowboards start at $40.00 for the complete package. If you only need to rent certain pieces of gear, prices vary.
- Group lessons are $34.00 for one hour and forty-five minutes of instruction. If you don't have your own gear, there is a group lesson package for $89.00 that includes everything you need including a lower-mountain lift ticket. The first class is at 10:00 AM and I definitely recommend you take one if you are a beginner or want to brush up on your skills -- the learning curve is reduced dramatically and the fun factor increases with a little bit of professional instruction.
- Bus operators offer packages that include transportation, lift passes, equipment rentals and lessons, often at a lower combination price. Please visit the tour operator's websites below for details and costs.
- RSVP only if you seriously plan to attend as space is limited. If you RSVP and I notice you have a number of no shows or a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Rain cancels the meetup.
How To Get There ...
There are numerous companies that operate bus trips to Windham Mountain and have pick up locations in Manhattan and other areas of the city. Trips usually include transportation and lift ticket, but many operators offer packages that also include equipment and lessons.
Click the following tour operators to take a look and see what package best suits you: NYC Ski and Board, Emilio's Ski and Snowboard, Blades NYC, Island Ski Tours, and New York Mountain Tours.
After you plan your trip, make a comment under your RSVP to let others know so you can have a little company for the ride.
From Exit 21 on I-87/New York State Thruway, Windham is 23 miles on state highway Route 23 (which is a well-maintained route all year round).
If you plan to drive and are willing to carpool, please post in your RSVP where you are leaving from and how many people you can carry. If you'd like to carpool with someone please post your request and where you are located. Please don't wait to be offered a ride, BE PROACTIVE and contact any drivers directly to work out transportation details. As courtesy, passengers should pick up tolls and gas.