Apr 20, 2013 · 11:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Okay, superstorm Sandy put the kibosh on this meetup last Fall, let's try it again and cross our fingers that there are no natural disasters this time around, no radioactive lizards rising from the ocean to stomp the area flat, or any such mayhem. We're going to spend a weekend camping at the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, a 3,200 acre natural area located just a short 50 minute drive outside of NYC.
The Plan ...
We'll arrive Saturday morning at the campground office to check in and head to our campsites to set up our tents and other gear. From here we can do as much or as little as we'd like. The campground is situated in a 3,200 acre wilderness preserve and you can hike along the 20 miles of trails in the area to a number of scenic overlooks or a nearby lake, or just sit and catch up on your reading. In the evening we'll cook and have a communal meal over an open fire, and spend the rest of the evening doing the usual camping activities -- partaking in adult beverages, stuffing our faces with snacks, and shooting the breeze.
- Campsite charge will be $19.00 per site ($14.00 + $5.00 reservation fee). You need to call the Mahlon Dickerson campground directly at (973)[masked] to reserve your site. Credit cards are accepted. The office is open Monday through Friday, 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, and Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. You are going to reserve a tent site, NOT a lean to. NOTE: ALL THE TENT CAMPSITES ARE NOW RESERVED FOR THIS MEETUP. YOU WILL EITHER NEED TO SHARE A SITE ALREADY BOOKED OR TOUGH IT OUT IN A LEAN TO SITE.
- This is a small campground with only eight tent sites so do not wait to reserve one to guarantee a spot. Here is the campground map http://www.morrisparks.net/pdfs/12MahlonBrochure.pdf for reference. I've reserved site T-8 already and at the moment there are still tent sites available.
- Four people, two tents, and two cars are allowed per campsite. When you RSVP, I suggest commenting if you have reserved a campsite and ask if anyone would like to share the spot with you. This is event is cross-posted in Evenings and Weekends in NYC at http://www.meetup.com/E-W-N-Y-C/events/102280362/ so be sure to check there when looking for site and tent mates.
Food Plan ...
- To keep it simple, everyone is responsible for bringing what food and snacks they would like to eat and drink.
- We will be cooking Dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday and it will be semi-communal, meaning bring what you would like to eat for yourself but perhaps also enough to share with a few other people. There are fire pits with integrated grills to cook on. Simple to cook but interesting items are best.
- Also bring what you would like to have for lunch on Sunday.
Other Important Stuff ...
- Rental gear (tents, sleeping bags, etc.) is available at the Tents and Trails store in downtown NYC, Gear to Go Outfitters in Park Slope, Brooklyn, Eastern Mountain Sports and at several REI stores in the NY/NJ area. You are responsible for supplying your own tent, sleeping bag, etc., or arranging a share with someone.
- This is cool weather camping so select your gear accordingly, daytime high temperatures will be in the low 60s and can dip down into the 30s at night.
- The campground has restroom facilities, hot showers, and clean water.
- RSVP only if you are definitely going. If you have commitment issues, please DO NOT RSVP. If you RSVP and have a history of no shows or last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Meetup will be cancelled only in the event of a zombie apocalypse or locust swarm of biblical proportions. Possibility of rain or any other precipitation and we still camp.
GPS Coordinates (Latitude, Longitude):
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation is located one mile east of Route 15 on Weldon Road in Jefferson Township, New Jersey. Route 15 is located at exit 34B off I-80 West.
Carpooling to the campground is necessary. When you RSVP, please indicate if need a ride. Or if you plan to drive, where you are coming from and how many passengers you can take. Please be proactive and contact a driver directly rather than just saying where you need a ride from. Gas and tolls will be shared among all the passengers.
This is event is cross-posted in Evenings and Weekends in NYC at
http://www.meetup.com/E-W-N-Y-C/events/102280362/ so be sure to check there when looking to arrange a carpool.