March 9, 2013 · 11:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
I just noticed the bulbs of the tulips I planted last year outside next to my stoop are starting to poke their way through the soil. I'm feeling feverish. Spring feverish. Let's head out for an urban walk to get some fresh air and stretch our legs a little. We're going to leave the tourists behind as they clamor to trek across the Brooklyn Bridge and head north to walk a span just as scenic but doesn't get as much love – the George Washington Bridge.
The Plan ...
This will be a relatively easy walk across the George Washington Bridge (GWB) and through part of the Palisades Interstate Park.
We'll start out on 178th street and walk over the bridge on the pedestrian pathway – it's a great walk with fabulous views of Manhattan and New Jersey. This is a bit of a different experience than crossing over other urban bridges as the walkway is at the edge of the span and you can look straight down at the Hudson river.
Once over the bridge we'll turn North and head up the Long Path in the Palisades Interstate Park. This is the beginning of the Long Path hiking trail which begins near the GWB in Fort Lee and continues 350 miles north to Albany. We'll walk about 3 miles up the path to Allison Park and stop for lunch. There are great views here of the Hudson River, GWB, and the Washington Heights and Inwood sections of Manhattan.
After lunch we'll descend down to the waterfront to walk along the Hudson river on our way back to the GWB. Depending on our stamina we can explore Fort Lee Historic Park on the return. It's a historic park at the base of the GWB that provides spectacular views of the Bridge, the Hudson, and the skyline of upper Manhattan, as well as housing reconstructions of historic buildings and gun batteries.
The Important Stuff …
- Distance will be about 8 miles, comfortable clothing and sneakers are a must. The trail may be a little muddy in spots so don't wear anything you'll mind getting dirty.
- Walk time will be about 4 hours.
- Bring water and lunch/snacks, we'll be stopping about halfway through the walk to have lunch.
- Bathroom opportunities will be limited along the walk, so please coordinate your fluid intake accordingly.
- RSVP only if you seriously plan to attend as space is limited. If you RSVP and I notice you have a number of no shows or a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- I will distribute my mobile phone number to the confirmed RSVPs. Don't leave home without it.
- Rain cancels the walk. Check your email the morning of the meetup for last minute updates.
Meeting Point/Mass Transit Directions ...
We'll be meeting at the Southwest corner of 178th Street and Fort Washington Avenue (see photo below). Take the A subway train to 175th Street and walk three blocks north. We'll be starting the walk promptly at 11:00, please don't be late.