Sep 7, 2013 · 9:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
Let's end our beach bum days this year by taking a bike ride from one of my old favorites to one of my newest -- Long Beach, Long Island.
We'll start our trip in Queens in the Far Rockaways. From here we'll ride north, snaking our way along the boardwalk and local streets, over the Atlantic Beach Bridge to Long Beach. We'll then ride down to Nickerson Beach Park to spend a few hours on the sand enjoying one of the last weekends of summer.
A $2.00 organization fee will be collected at this event, your host is in the running for the title of hardest working person on meetup.
The Important Stuff ...
- This is going to be a casually-paced (10-12 mph) ride of about 25 miles round trip. Most of it will take place on flat terrain in bike lanes and on quiet roads but there will be parts with some automobile congestion. You must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are strongly suggested.
- Bring your swimsuit, towel, and sunblock for a few hours on the beach.
- Bring your lunch and drink, or bring money for lunch or a snack along the way.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup. You MUST bring a spare inner tube, flat tire repair kit and a lock to secure your cycle.
- Rain or similar un-favorable weather cancels the meetup.
- Check your email the evening before for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed.
Take the A train to Broad Channel, transfer to the Shuttle and take that to its end at Beach 116th Street.