Jul 14, 2013 · 9:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
Who says I don't listen to my my meetup members? A good friend and regular attendee said one of his favorite events from last summer was our beach day in Long Beach, Long Island and could we do it again. Well, this one is for you.
If you don't know, now you know ...
There is no need to spend hours commuting to the beaches in Eastern Long Island or New Jersey for a nice day at the shore, sleep in a bit and let's spend the day playing in the sand and surf of one of the area's little known secrets -- Long Beach and Boardwalk. Here we can enjoy the ambiance of a seaside resort just a short ride from NYC's Penn Station. This area was hard hit by Sandy last fall with most of its 3 mile long boardwalk destroyed, but it's now full steam ahead with the waterfront recovery. Let's go and spend a few bucks there to continue helping this community and boardwalk return to the terrific place it once was.
We'll meet outside the Long Beach LIRR station on the corner of Park Place and Park Avenue and then walk four blocks to the beach together. Please have all your lunch and drink purchases taken care of before we meet up so we can head straight to the beach without delay.
The important stuff ...
- Bring your beach essentials -- swimsuit, towel, sunblock, water, and a game or two (cards, frisbee, etc.).
- Bring money for beach admission ($12.00), unless you purchase the combination train and beach access ticket.
- Bring lunch and drink. You can purchase lunch near the beach but it'll be a bit of a walk.
- Rain or other non-beachy weather cancels the meetup. Definitely check your email the morning of the meetup just in case.
- No Flakes Allowed! Please only RSVP if you seriously plan to attend.
- Sorry, no guests allowed.
Mass Transit Directions/Meeting Point ...
Take the Long Island Railroad 8:45 AM train from Penn Station to the Long Beach station. It is a 57 minute ride and you'll arrive at 9:42 AM. Fare is $21.00 for a combination round trip and beach access ticket, otherwise it is $8.25 each way plus $12.00 beach access fee. NOTE: you can can also catch this train from Jamaica, Queens at a slightly later time.
Please post if you are catching the train so people can coordinate meeting at the train station to ride together.