Between the caricatures portrayed on television shows like the Sopranos and Jersey Shore, and the visuals of an industrial wasteland that people are exposed to as they travel the Turnpike, New Jersey gets an unfair rap in the media and in most people's perceptions. Today we're going to take a bike tour that will kick those images to the curb -- few people know that the western half of the state contains natural beauty and bucolic towns that rival anything you'd find in New England. The scenery is made even more spectacular by the lush red and yellow fall foliage dotting the countryside.
The plan ...
We'll gather at the New Jersey Transit train station in New Brunswick to begin our adventure. West we go, leaving the urban sprawl and Into the countryside of New Jersey we go as we peddle our way over rolling hills to our first destination, The Delaware & Raritan Canal state park. Its central attraction being a 70 mile long crushed gravel tow path that winds through central New Jersey, this is one of the state's most popular recreational corridors for canoeing, jogging, hiking, bicycling, and fishing.
We'll cycle south through the D&R park on our way to scenic
A $3.00 organization fee will be collected at this event, your host is in the running for the title of hardest working person on meetup.
The important stuff ...
• This is going to be a casually-paced (12 mph) ride of about 32 miles. Most of the ride will take place on flat terrain in bike paths and on quiet roads but there will be parts with some automobile congestion. You must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are strongly suggested.
• Bring snacks and water. Bring a bit of dough also for a lunch stop.
• Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and a spare inner tube, pump, and lock to leave our cycles.
• Rain or similar un-favorable weather cancels the meetup.
• Check your email the evening before for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
• Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
• Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.
How to get there ...
Yes, they allow bicycles on New Jersey Transit trains. You can catch the 8:14 AM NJT train #7825 from New York Penn Station and you will arrive in New Brunswick at 9:11 AM. Train fare is $13.00 one way. This will be a one way ride, we'll be catching the train back from Princeton to NYC or your car parked in New Brunswick. NOTE: NJT rules indicate that only two bicycles are allowed per train car so be sure to arrive at Penn Station early enough to make sure you will be among the first in line to board the train in case there are other cyclists traveling.
The New Brunswick train station is on University Place, one block north of Alexander Road. This will be a one way ride, we'll be catching the train back from Princeton to NYC or your car parked in New Brunswick.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.