October 14, 2012 · 9:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
As the days grow shorter and the temperature slowly drops, let's get out and see the color change before our eyes while hiking in one of New York's most beautiful forests -- Harriman State Park. From bright reds to deep yellows, the leaves of maple, dogwood, and oak trees transform, displaying a rainbow spectrum of Fall hues.
Starting at the Reeves Visitor Center trailheads in the Southern section of the park, we'll trek through the forest along the Seven Hills trail, follow a bubbling brook for a bit, then ascend to the ridge line and hike to several overlooks that provide breathtaking views of the surrounding Hudson County peaks and valleys. Make sure you bring your camera for this one as well as extra batteries because you're going to want to share the beauty you'll be seeing with your friends and family.
The Important Stuff ...
- This is going to be an INTERMEDIATE hike of about 8.5 miles. You don't need to be a world-class athlete to participate, but you need to be in good physical shape as this is one of the more challenging treks in area with a bit of elevation gain and more than a few rock scrambles. We will be out all day so leave your afternoon/evening open.
- This is a social hike, the pace will be moderate -- we'll be stopping to take in the views and smell the flowers. If you yearn to channel your inner Mountain Goat and feel the need to race everyone to the top of the mountain, this is not the hiking trip for you.
- Dress in layers of non-cotton clothing, wear hiking boots or trail shoes (I wouldn't recommend sneakers but that is at your discretion), a hat, bring 2-3 liters of fluid, a packed lunch and/or snacks, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
- Rain cancels the hike.
- No guests allowed, sorry.
- RSVP only if you seriously plan to attend as space is limited. If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- I will distribute my mobile phone number to the confirmed RSVPs two days before the event. Do not leave home without it.
How To Get There ...
There is no mass transit option for this hike so drivers are needed.
Take NJ Route 17 north to the New York State Thruway and take the first exit, Exit 15A (Sloatsburg). Turn left at the bottom of the ramp onto N.Y. Route 17 north, and continue through the Village of Sloatsburg. Just past the village, turn right at the traffic light, following the sign for Harriman State Park. Cross an overpass over railroad tracks and continue along the Seven Lakes Drive, passing under the Thruway overpass, and soon entering Harriman State Park. Proceed for another mile to the Reeves Meadow Visitor Center, on the right side of the road. Park in the Visitor Center's parking lot (SEE PHOTO BELOW). If the lot is full, parking is allowed in certain roadside areas.
Please post if you are driving and can pick up passengers (how many and from where). If you need a ride, please be proactive and contact a driver directly. Passengers, as a courtesy you should chip in for gas, tolls, and coffee for the driver.
This meetup is cross-posted over in Evenings and Weekends in NYC, be sure to check there for drivers/passengers when trying to coordinate carpooling. http://www.meetup.com/E-W-N-Y-C/events/74803362/