September 15, 2012 · 9:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
If you're not a spandex clad road cyclist chances are you've never ventured to ride the area in Jersey North of the George Washington Bridge. 'Tis a shame as some of the best scenery to behold is literally a stones throw away from Northern Manhattan in the New Jersey Palisades.
The Plan ...
Today we're going to bike across the George Washington Bridge, head down to the banks of the Hudson and ride. And then ride some more. But we're not just cycling aimlessly and enjoying the greenery -- our goal is to make it to the ruins of Cliffdale Manor. These are the largest ruins in the Palisades Interstate Park of what was once a palatial turn-of-the-century mansion overlooking the Hudson River. In a bit of foresight as to what damage urban expansion can do, the property was purchased by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1930 along with much of the surrounding area and the estate razed in an attempt to halt over-development of the Palisades cliffs spurred by the newly built George Washington Bridge. Interesting stuff, read a bit more about the ruins HERE. We'll have to leave our bikes and hike a little to get to the building's remnants so wear comfortable shoes.
This is going to be a bit of an exploratory event as I've never been to the Cliffdale Manor ruins. You guys are used to me knowing exactly where we are going when I'm in the lead but we'll be doing a little figuring out as we go along this day. The possibility of getting a little bit lost makes it an even greater adventure, right?
The Important Stuff ...
- This is going to be a casually-paced (10 - 12 mph) ride of about 22 miles round trip. You must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are required -- no helmet, no ride.
- The terrain will consist of rolling hills and be challenging so I am asking beginners and those with questionable cardiovascular fitness to sit this one out.
- We'll be exploring a bit on foot so make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Bring lunch and something to drink. We'll stop to eat along the river and options to buy refreshments are limited.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and bring a lock to leave our cycles. Bring a patch repair kit, air pump, and spare inner tube.
- Rain cancels the meetup.
- Check your email the evening before you head out for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.