Oct 6, 2012 · 10:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
As I've said in the past, I am struck by how dramatically the feel of the city changes once the sun sets. People get out on their bicycles and enjoy this town during the day but most of us put them away when the evening comes. That's like ordering a slice of pizza, throwing away the cheese and only eating the crust -- you're only getting half of what makes the experience great. But if you're a night owl like me let's have a little adventure.
The Plan ...
Starting our ride in Union Square, we'll peddle around town checking out some of New York City's most famous sights. Impressive during the daylight hours, but especially beautiful when they are illuminated -- and in some cases, deserted -- at night. They'll include the Washington Square Arch, Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport, World Financial Center, Lincoln Center, Time Warner Center and Museum of Arts & Design in Columbus Circle, Plaza Hotel and Fountain, Apple Store cube, flashing lights of Times Square, New York Public Library's Midtown Branch and landmark lions, and the iconic Flatiron Building. Even a loop of Central Park at night is on the agenda.
We'll end our tour back at Union Square and of course no evening on the town is complete without the requisite late night stop at the local greasy spoon for those willing to challenge breaking dawn.
The Important Stuff ...
- Distance to cycle will be about 28 miles round trip. This is going to be a casually-paced ride of about 10 - 12 mph. If you turn into a pumpkin at midnight you might as well stay home because we'll be riding until the wee hours of the morning -- get a good day's rest beforehand.
- We'll be riding in bike lanes whenever possible but city planners haven't done us the favor of conveniently placing them next NYC's best attractions so you should be comfortable riding in traffic. Helmets are a smart choice but lights for your bike are REQUIRED.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and bring a lock to leave our cycles. Bring a spare inner tube, patch repair kit, and air pump.
- Check your email before you head out for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be sent to those who RSVP.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.
- Rain cancels the meetup.