Planning on spending another Black Friday mired in the hype of corporate manufactured consumerism? Is your alarm clock set to wake you up at 4:00 AM so you can attempt to fight off a thousand other people just for the chance to buy a cheap flat-screen television or laptop? That is so 2007!
Spend the day after Thanksgiving this year recognizing what you truly have to be thankful for and doing something that you'll remember for years to come. Join me in volunteering as we lend a hand with the ongoing Superstorm Sandy rebuilding efforts in my home borough of Staten Island.
What can you do?
We're going to join in with the established Staten Island Recovers volunteer effort. They are in need of people who can come and "bottomline," aka be responsible, for daily routine tasks of keeping the Staten Island Recovers volunteer hub flowing. Specific jobs available include:
At the SI Recovers HQ
- Staffing the 1128 Free Store: Indoors but no heat, dress warmly. What you'll do -- greet people, take donations, sort, stack, and fulfill orders for delivery, stack boxes
- Tool loan: greeting, sign out of tools
- Volunteer orientation: Onsite but outdoors, dress warmly. What you'll do -- greet, info sign up and be orientation leader on topics: clean-up, jobs, anti-oppression supplies and tools outfitting, keeping track of supplies, dispatcher taking report, data entry
- 1128 Communications: Indoors but no heat, dress warmly. What you'll do -- answer phone hotline, make calls to other hubs to check on needs, communicate with the main hubs at 520/Jacobi, social media tracking and email checking
In the Field
- Clean-up:Medium labor, be dressed for messy outdoor work. What you'll do -- bleaching, shoveling, raking, bagging garbage
- Demolition: Heavy labor, be dressed for messy outdoor work. What you'll do -- removing sheet rock, clearing carpet, moving furniture
- Canvassing: Be dressed for walking outside. What you'll do -- call people on the phone, dispatch groups of canvassers, go on canvassing expeditions, put canvassing data into their database
- Driving: Insurance needed, take supplies and volunteers to and from sites, go with partner on supply drops and pick ups
- Volunteering with another group: various jobs w/ other community recovery sites, we often send volunteers to other sites
- If you plan on volunteering for clean up or demolition, dress accordingly. Clothes you don't mind getting messy, boots, and heavy work gloves and N95 mask are required. If you can bring any demo tools you may have it will be helpful.
- Supplies and donations are needed. Please take a look at the STATEN ISLAND RECOVERS site for latest requests.
- Bring snacks and water to keep yourself recharged during the day.
- DO NOT bring excess baggage or valuables, pack light. There is no where to store these items when you are volunteering.
How do I get there?
Mass Transit: Catch the 7:30 AM Staten Island Ferry from Whitehall Street and from there take the S78 bus down Hylan Boulevard to the Lincoln Avenue stop. It's a bit of a lengthy ride. Once you get off the bus, walk east down Lincoln Avenue eleven blocks (10 minutes1) to Olympia Blvd.
Driving: If you can are going to drive, please post so in your RSVP comments so people can reach out to you to carpool. As a courtesy, passengers should chip in for gas and tolls.