This is why we recommend spray skirts!!!! And flotation bags. And require helmets.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this event description ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE so you'll know what to bring, what to wear, what our rules and recommendations are.
*** READ BEFORE PAYING****
If you need a rental boat, simply change the amount of the payment from $35 to $85 when you sign up for this trip.
This is NOT a beginner-friendly trip. There are Class 1 and 2+ rapids on the Hiwassee River, so some river kayaking experience is required for this trip.
(If you are a kayak class grad or intermediate class grad you will be fine.)
The water is cool and usually very clear. The Hiwassee River is dam-controlled, so the level stays about the same year-round. This is a 5+ hour paddle (about a 5.5+ mile paddle downstream). We will be moving slow, playing in the rapids, ferrying and surfing.
TO BRING WITH YOU/TO WEAR:
* It may be a bit chilly so polypropolyene or smart wool underwear is advisable and either a light weight rain jacket or splash top. I normally wear a farmer john wetsuit. Dress to get wet and stay warm.
Every single thing in your boat will get wet on this trip. Anything you bring must be securely attached to your PFD, boat or to you.
* If you are bringing your own boat, a spray skirt, either nylon or neoprene, is highly recommended. Helmets are required. I always wear one on this river. I have extra helmets if you need one.
* Sunscreen, & sunglasses if you like (with chums or strings to hold them on).
* Your snacks/small lunch and beverages/water in a small 6-pack size (lunch-size) flexible cooler. Pack a couple of zip-lock freezer bags and/or a dry-bag for your valuables and trash. Double-ziploc freezer bag your sandwich/snacks/ valuables inside your cooler. Double-bagging is always safer. But remember, if it is important, ziploc bags are not water proof!
* Towel(s), a dry change of clothes/shoes/comb/brush. You will leave these items in your vehicle while we're on the river. * Any meds you may need for the day.
* Directions to Webb Brothers are included below. Don't trust your GPS. Also, keep John's cell number with you,[masked] but know that cell coverage is spotty at best and usually non existent.
We'll find a spot on the river to stop and enjoy our picnic about halfway down the river on a beach or island, so bring a small lunch or some snacks. We'll go wading and swimming. It's really a fantastic way to spend a day.
We will meet you at Webb Brothers Texaco in Reliance, Tennessee at 9:00 am. Please be on time. It takes about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to get to Reliance, TN, but please allow extra time for traffic and unexpected events! Dam release starts at 10 am, we want to be at the put in and ready to paddle by then.
Weather: As with most outdoor events, pouring rain or storms may cause us to delay or reschedule. Keep in mind, a little rain won't stop us, but check this website before you leave home for the trip.
We could not get the bunk house at Hiwassee Outfitters for this weekend so you will be on your own if you plan to stay over and paddle both days. There is camping at Hiwassee Outfitters as well as numerous parks in the area. There are also nice cabin rentals in the area.
If you want to carpool, please note on your RSVP something like "I live in Marietta and want to ride with someone" or "I live in Woodstock and have room for two adventurers in my car". Members can contact each other thru Meetup about carpooling but put your contact number in the remarks to make it easier.
Lastly, please be sure to ' rate the Meetup' afterward. Your 5-star rating and fun, positive comment means a lot to us, your Organizers and Hosts.
Directions from the Atlanta area: Take I-75 North to Cartersville/White Exit , Exit 293,(U.S. 411). Go north on Hwy. 411 through Benton, Tennessee. Watch out for speed traps! Six miles north of Benton, turn right on TN 30 East. Follow Tn 30 East for 6+ miles to Webb Brothers Texaco on the left on the bank of the Hiwassee.
If you have your own boat, AND IT HAS REAR FLOATATION, either a dry hold or float bags, you can use it and your cost for the trip will be $35.00. If you need a rental boat, add $50 for a total of $85.00. The boat will be delivered to the river so you do not have to pick it up or return it to an outfitter.
I do have 4 types of cross over boats, a Liquid Logic XP 10, Jackson Rogues (9 and 10 ft), Wavesport Ethos (9 and 10 ft) and a Liquid Logic Coupe, sit on top. Boats will be assigned on a first come first serve basis so it is important to sign up early and put your boat choice in your answers. Call if you have questions about the boats. i also have the rec boats like you used in our classes.
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
John Miller [masked]
Kayak Instructor, WFA, SWR
See you on the Hiwassee River!