Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Safe/easy place to learn?

Safe/easy place to learn?

eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 4
Hi, I recently moved to Pittsburgh, and even more recently purchased a one person kayak. I had a two person inflatable in Philly, and we poked around pretty still water, but this will be my first time in a hard kayak, and trying to steer/propel the boat alone tongue I live on the northside of Pittsburgh; would anyone be kind enough to recommend a nice easy body of water to learn in? I was thinking of North Park Lake...

Thanks, I"m hoping to get good enough that I can eventually go on the river since there is a launch point close to me!

e
Margaret
user 8636401
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
North Park Lake is an excellent place to get some practice. The Allegheny River on a calm day shouldn't give you too much trouble, either. If you launch from Millvale, near the 40th St. Bridge, and go through the channel between Herr's Island, you'll have some practice without worrying about motorboats or jetskis creating wakes.
Art T.
user 38524762
Uhrichsville, OH
Post #: 3
Raccoon Creek State Park is a nice location. The lake is 101 acres in size, rated for hand-powered or electric motors only and is just a little west of Pittsburgh. A quite scenic area with a variety of nice trails too.
A former member
Post #: 1
Keystone State Park is great for practicing, but be sure you get a launch permit at the park office (good for one or two years). They do check, and the fines are stiff.
A former member
Post #: 1
launch permits -- i got one at the KMart in McMurray/Peters Township. any KMart that sells fishing licenses will also have the permits. go to the sports and outdoor section where the fishing poles are. not everyone that works at KMart knows about the launch permits

you also need one on all the Corps of Engineers lakes in PA, and some other spots

you can buy a permit for 1 year, but it's a savings to buy one for 2 years at a time
A former member
Post #: 2
in Washington County, south of Pittsburgh proper in the South Hills, Peters Lake Park is popular with paddlers. some folks paddle at Canonsburg Lake also