add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Hello! I'm new (to the group, pittsburgh AND kayaking)

Hello! I'm new (to the group, pittsburgh AND kayaking)

user 10941181
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 5
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say hello and throw it out there that I am pretty new to kayaking, I've done it maybe like twice before (in a two person where my friend steered) and was wondering if that was ok. I really would love to learn, even more so because my boyfriend (whom I'm trying to get to join as well) is really interested in learning (this may be more exciting when you learn the fact that he really isn't to much of an outdoor person). So as perplexed as I am, I'd really love to get into it so we have something to do together (as I AM an outdoorsie person).

So, to my point(s) I guess. Is it to much of a hassle for someone to teach us the basics? Or does anyone know where we could take a class or something? (We have an REI membership and their rental rates are awesome, but their only class on kayaking is on how to pack for overnight adventures). Also, Our schedules are weekends in the afternoons, and I noticed most of your weekend stuff was in the morning, do you guys plan on having anything in the afternoons (@1pm onwards) on the weekends?

Thank you so much! Looking forward to meeting new people :)
user 61428392
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
Back when my wife and were just getting started in kayaking, somebody told us, "Don't get a tandem. Get two boats". That was the best advice we could have gotten. So...I'll pass it on - Get two boats! You'll be glad you did. We hope to run into you guys soon.
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 5
I purchased a DVD from Amazon which taught me the bassics. It seemed to work well, and the first time out (with a partener) was not a bad experience. Experience is a great teacher, especially if you are with people who know what thay are doing. I have gone out with Linda and Mike many times this year and learned tons from them. Just staying behind, and watching them approach and take rapids was a big help.

Having two boats is a good idea. That way, one can always save the other. A buddy system is important as well. I do not like kayaking alone. If one gets in some sort of trouble, the other can help out.

Kayaking is not rocket science.
user 10941181
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 7
Awesome thanks for the advice. Any advice on inflatables? maybe something like Sevylor QuikPak K1 Coverless Sit-On-Top Inflatable Kayak ?
user 44516142
Rices Landing, PA
Post #: 6
Personally I would avoid inflatables . Around here water is shallow and rubbing rocks is very common plus they are harder to control.
You need to deciede are you looking to white water or just recreational , that will help on a boat type choice.
The boats you can get from REI & Dicks or gander mountain all will be fine for class I &II waters

Message me at and I can help teach you. I paddle class III water
Julia K.
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 2
I bought an inflatable last year. After many holes, patches, and frustrations I am buy a real kayak soon