Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Anyone else itchy to get on the water?/Mon: River of the Year

Anyone else itchy to get on the water?/Mon: River of the Year

eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 8
And when does the kayaking "season" begin in Pittsburgh? I'm a novice and really only enjoy river flat water...and since I usually go alone, I try to stay around the Kayak Pittsburgh areas so that there are some other folks in the water.

And, did you see that the Mon was voted the PA River of the Year - http://pawatersheds.o...­.
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 13
I was kayaking mid March last year. But it got up to near 80 degrees that day. I would have gone a couple of weeks ago when it was 74, but could not find anyone else to go. I will not go alone. I think it depends on the weather, and water temperature. Why risk hypothermia?
Eric A.
user 30763172
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
I would be more concerned about water temperature than air temperature. Even if we get a beautiful 75 degree day this February, the water temp is still going to below 40 degrees. That will give you 2-3 minutes to get out of the water before you lose dexterity. If you were with a group of experienced paddlers and close to a car or heat source you would probably be alright. If you were alone you could easily be in big trouble, even if you could get to shore. A lot of people say you should never paddle alone. I am like you, I do it all the time, but I always carry a bilge pump and wear a pfd and know I can get back in my boat unassisted. Still would not go out this time of year without knowing real help is close by and I could get to it. I would stay off the water until it really warms up or stick to small lakes that you know you can get out of quickly and get to your car if the need arises.
eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 9
Thanks for the good advice; I worry about hypothermia as well. I guess that I'll just have to wait until the good folks at KP are in place, and then I'll know that it is safe. Thanks, too, for the reminder to get a bildge pump. I suppose that taking a safety class is an even better idea, since I've never done that.

e