Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › kayak shopping i need opinions

kayak shopping i need opinions

Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 8
I thought I was pretty sure I was going to get a tandem kayak, now I'm questioning that. I saw am old town vapor that would fit my daughter in the main cockpit with me.
What do you think. My questions/thoughts are this:

In a single we would exceed the max weight limit
Would a single be harder to paddle with more weight?
Would a tandem be to hard/heavy for me to load on my car or Carry to the lake
Would a tandem be hard to maneuver on the water alone?

If you had a young child that would be with you fifty percent if the time what would you get

Thanks
Bill Z.
user 14318489
South Park, PA
Post #: 3
Hello there,
If you are looking at the Vapor Kayak, it's a heavy boat for its small size and not very efficient... I've tried that boat. Tandem kayaks are hard to paddle solo and are heavier to carry around. One boat you may want to look into is a Perception Prodigy 12, weight cap. is 350# with a large cockpit.... I have one and like it very much and you can fit an adult and small person in it. The longer the boat the straighter it will paddle with less effort from you. I have 5 kayaks, two sit on tops for fishing and three sit ins... but have paddled many different types and the short little 9' boats are not that user friendly.... they tend to want to go side to side when you paddle them, especially on lakes with no current to keep you going straight. When the weather warms up you are more than welcome to try mine and see what you like! I also have a Perception America 11' I bought it at Dick's for the kids to use or as an extra boat. It is very inexpensive to buy, has a large cockpit and weight cap. is at 350# also. There are other boats that will work for you, I hope this helps you some.
Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 67
I also like the Perception brand- I have a 10' Impulse that is a great boat for me. It has a very large cockpit 54"x23" & only weighs 44 lbs. Maybe stop out at Exkursion or LLBean & ask questions. Jay is very helpful @ Bean. I bought my yak at Exkursion- everyone there was very helpful. Also Exkursion has kayak demos @ Keystone Lake where you can test paddle a lot of different boats.
Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 9
Thanks guys it does help. I'm gong to have to make my way out to some sites. I've only been to gander mountain so far. My budget is very flexible I'm willing to go to 700
Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 10
On another forum I was told about a jackson day tripper kayak. Has anyone ever heard of these?
Bill Z.
user 14318489
South Park, PA
Post #: 4
The Jackson Kayak is like the Wilderness Systems Commander, it's a cross between a canoe and kayak.
It's around 8-900$ there is a dealer in Confluence Pa that handles them called Riversport.
Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 11
Thanks. :) There are so many options once you get to looking
Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 12
I found a used one and went and looked at it. I love it. It really reminds me of my inflatable sea eagle. The seat was so comfortable and it was able to fit both my daughter and myself. Its ten for long 49 pounds and so easy to l oad on my car. I will look at some more before i decide but i really liked it
Doug M
user 14437772
Turtle Creek, PA
Post #: 127
What is it? Did you take it out? 10ft is short for a flat water boat which will probably mean it is slower and doesn't track as well as a 14 or 16ft boat. Speed may not mater if you are not keeping up with others, slower response and less than good tracking can be tiring. A comfortable seat is a big plus though.
Julia K.
juldga
Aliquippa, PA
Post #: 14
No I didnt take it out. It was just at someones house. I am also concerned about storage with a longer boat. I live in an apartment. 12 foot is the max I will go with storing and loading and transport.
There are so many pros and cons during shopping its hard to wrap my head around it all. I know everyone says to try them out so when the weather breaks in March I will definitely do that