Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › A few WTB items: civic roof rack, rec yak, paddle, misc gear

A few WTB items: civic roof rack, rec yak, paddle, misc gear

Kodiak F.
kfiresmith
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
OK Folks,
I'm looking to get into kayaking but I'm stuck with a 2000 Civic 4-door this year so I'm on the lookout for a compatible roof rack system.

I'm looking for a middle-road rec 12' used kayak, paddle, PFD as well. Cosmetics are way less important than utility on these items.

Thanks all.
A former member
Post #: 3
Do you have a factory rail system? I have a Yakima roof rack system: 4 control towers (with locks), 58" cross bars and a multi-kayak carrier I'd part with for $100 to get it out of my garage. New for all is almost $400. The base feet are designed for a factory rail system so you'd have to buy the base plate/landing pad that fits your rail system.
Tom D.
Banditryder
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 9
OK Folks,
I'm looking to get into kayaking but I'm stuck with a 2000 Civic 4-door this year so I'm on the lookout for a compatible roof rack system.

I'm looking for a middle-road rec 12' used kayak, paddle, PFD as well. Cosmetics are way less important than utility on these items.

Thanks all.

I have a few extra paddles and an extra PFD - Men's large/xLarge. Stohlquist I think. I'll check if you're interested.

Tom Dempsey
A former member
Post #: 7
A buddy of mine bought a nice, recreational, 13' kayak a few years ago with paddle, PFD, etc. He never used it and will sell it, though he has procrastinated on getting me specs and pics to post for him. If you e-mail me off-list I can pass your boat search along. He lives in Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

E-mail me off-list at Stircrazy@pobox.com
Dan
Kodiak F.
kfiresmith
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Do you have a factory rail system? I have a Yakima roof rack system: 4 control towers (with locks), 58" cross bars and a multi-kayak carrier I'd part with for $100 to get it out of my garage. New for all is almost $400. The base feet are designed for a factory rail system so you'd have to buy the base plate/landing pad that fits your rail system.

Hi and thanks for the reply!
I don't think the civic ever had a factory rail system, or if it did it must have been rare because I've never seen a Civic with roof rails other than Yakima or Thule ones.

I think I figured out which Thule parts I need for a complete setup but I still need to look into Yakima parts so that I can get a handle on figuring out what I'd need if I got your parts, or if your parts would even work for me since I just have standard Civic rain gutters.
Kodiak F.
kfiresmith
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 4

I have a few extra paddles and an extra PFD - Men's large/xLarge. Stohlquist I think. I'll check if you're interested.
Tom Dempsey

Depending on the paddles I'd certainly be interested. I'm 6'1" so the vest would probably fit just fine. My hands rate for small diameter paddles, and I'd be interested in hearing what you've got there.
Kodiak F.
kfiresmith
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 5
A buddy of mine bought a nice, recreational, 13' kayak a few years ago with paddle, PFD, etc. He never used it and will sell it, though he has procrastinated on getting me specs and pics to post for him. If you e-mail me off-list I can pass your boat search along. He lives in Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

E-mail me off-list at Stircrazy@pobox.com
Dan

Unfortunately I should probably get the Kayak last since I don't even have a way to get it home (or elsewhere) until I can get the roof rack sorted out. That said, if he's a procrastinator, maybe it'll still be around once I get the rack sorted!
A former member
Post #: 4

Hi and thanks for the reply!
I don't think the civic ever had a factory rail system, or if it did it must have been rare because I've never seen a Civic with roof rails other than Yakima or Thule ones.

I think I figured out which Thule parts I need for a complete setup but I still need to look into Yakima parts so that I can get a handle on figuring out what I'd need if I got your parts, or if your parts would even work for me since I just have standard Civic rain gutters.

I think the base feet/control towers I have will only work on a rail system. You MIGHT be able to figure that out by talking to a good Yakima rack dealer. I could still sell you the 58" cross bars (new about $80) and/or the old style multi-kayak carrier attachment (new about $150) for $50 for both if you end up with Yakima. I've had both Thule and Yakima and found them about equal.