Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Any City of Pittsburgh Kayakers?

Any City of Pittsburgh Kayakers?

eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 11
I live on the Northside, and mostly kayak in the Allegheny River (leave from Millvale). I'm pretty new, and don't care for white water at all...any suggestions other than the three rivers? I haven't been on the Ohio yet because it is so intimidating...I'd love to tag along with someone if they are willing to show me the ropes.

I work nights, so if anyone is up for a day venture, please PM me. It gets kinda boring going to North Park Lake alone (:

e
Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 76
I work daylight so schedules might not mesh. The Ohio isn't bad if you stay close to the banks. The Kiski is very nice- did you check out Steve's paddle this weekend? Just a little easy whitewater. Raccoon is also nice- very pretty, quiet lake
eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 12
I was hoping to go to Steve's event on Monday, but I work Thursday-Sunday from 7p - 7a...and I'll really need some sleep after that! I might get brave and try the Ohio soon, but I don't like to go somewhere new alone, just doesn't seem safe. Thanks for the ideas, though - I hope that I get to meet the group soon.
Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 77
I can paddle the Ohio after work. Do you always work Thurs to Sun? There are also others interested in after work paddles & I plan to post events but they will probably be short notice due to weather, current & CSO variations
A former member
Post #: 8
Peter's Lake is easy and calm. It's about 15 miles from Downtown. Liberty Tunnels, up West Liberty which becomes Washington Road, pass McDonald's on left get in left lane, turn left onto E. McMurray, go exactly one mile, turn right (at top of hill) onto Center Church Road (stay right on Center Church at "Y"). Road ends at boat launch and parking.
Terry G.
user 12824843
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
Hi Elleen
I also live on the North Side. I have paddled out of Millvale and Sharpsburg on the Alllegheny. Also paddle on the Ohio which is much easier to get to from the North Side. I find the Ohio no more intimidating then the Allegheny or Mon. I put in at a launch off of Westhall street, That is not far from you if you live on Woodsrun. Stay near shore and there is no problem. Beautiful views of down town Pittsburgh and if you end the paddle at sunset some great light reflections off the buildings. I have done evening paddles in the past, but slow getting started this Spring. So if you have a non working evening I would be up for a paddle.
eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 13
Hi Terry, an evening paddle sounds terrific! How about Tuesday evening? I think that the car that holds my boat will be fixed by then...needs a new fuel pump...it is a bit far to walk the boat, even with a carrier.
Terry G.
user 12824843
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Off for a weekend get away, will get back to you on Monday to finalize.
Terry G.
user 12824843
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 4
Eileen
Sorry can't commit to Tuesday right now. But hope we can pick another day. Keep in touch.
eileen b.
eileenbyrnes
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 14
Okay, hope that we can try another day. I'm going away for a few days, and work nights until next Tuesday. Hope that we can find a day that works for both of us, and maybe Janet, too!