align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › Slippery Rock Creek

Slippery Rock Creek

chris g
user 42733782
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
Just wondering if this group is planning any trips in the class II - III range. It doesn't seem like that's on the radar here looking at the last dozen or so meet ups. I realize the water levels aren't ideal right now. I was kind of hoping that there would be a group of people who will head out right after a big storm. Should I not get my hopes up here? Lol
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 19
Is Slippery Rock Creek the stream that flows into he river just below West Newton? If it is, it is one of the cleanest streams I have been in. It is full of wild life. I came across a bald eagle feed on the shore line the day I did it. Class II and III? I think there are two class IIs, but then the water wasn't all that high when I did it. In all it was an easy paddle. We put in at a covered bridge, and took out at the river. I would do it again.
chris g
user 42733782
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
No. I think you were on the sewickley creek. Slippery rock is up north by McConnells mill and its pretty clean (swimmable). I've never paddled the sewickley but am game. The mon is pretty nasty.