Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › kayaking more than flat water

kayaking more than flat water

dave
user 60385662
Venetia, PA
Post #: 1
Is anyone interested in doing more than flat water, not class v but something more?
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 24
Yes! I like small streams much better. I believe them more interesting. When I am in my kayak I like seeing the things in, and along it's banks. The addition of some bubbly water adds to the fun.

The problem is that the good water is only in the spring, and then a few days after a good storm. I have some very nice streams near me, but the water needs to be right. Usually it is spotty after the beginning of June, until the next Spring. I have experience water dropping a half foot while on a stream in the Summer.

I have had some good experiences with Linda and Mike D over the past couple of years, but have heard nothing from them since last spring. I would love to hear from them again.
Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 97
The Kiski has nice easy class I-II, the Middle Yough class II. Maybe ask again in the spring?
Tim V.
user 4385400
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 8
keep an eye out for when i post the next Packsaddle Gap meetup on the Conemaugh River thru the Chestnut Ridge gorge.
mark
Mrkjns081
Murrysville, PA
Post #: 2

I'd be interested but don't have a skirt on my boat. Would you be thinking beyond class II water?
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 25
If you have a well designed boat, one does not need a spray skirt. I seldom get water in my Axis 12, unless it rains, and I have done up to class III. I get splashed, but nothing accumulates in the boat. The Dagor Axis is a crossover boat. I purchased it for streams where there are stretches of flat water between rapids. I got the 12 foot one over the 10 because I wanted to be able to carry enough gear to camp from it. There is plenty of storage room for a three day trip with sleeping bag and tent. I had a great camping outing with PAL on the Allegheny two weeks ago, even though the water was flatter then I like.

I would like to do more of these overnight kayak trips, as well as more streams. Is there any information published that would tell about such adventures, as well as good day trips?
Ken S.
user 12466941
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
Middle Yough is still running. You'll have to set up your own shuttle. I see many people successfully doing the Middle in flat water boats. The problem now is that both air and water temperatures are dropping and one needs to be prepared to (regardless of experience level) deal with the risk of going in the water. Contrary to opinions expressed on this even in my white water boat, with a skirt, I get water in my boat and get wet on the Middle. It is just part of the experience.
Lauri
user 56180202
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Do outfitters not still set up shuttles this time of year on the Middle. I'm dying to still get out on moving water outside the city! I'd even be willing to go back and do the river valley section of Cheat Lake even though it's flat. Just got a taste of it Sunday and it was gorgeous. I had friends who wanted to come but rentals are now shut down there. I'm willing to just bundle up and just risk the temps.
Lauri
user 56180202
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 4
Tim can't wait to try Packsaddle Gap with you... been wanting to for months now.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all, just moved back to the Pittsburgh area after living in Johnstown for the past 2 years. I've got 3 boats (10' rec, 12' rec, and a whitewater boat) so I'm up for anything in the class I-IV range. I'd only consider class III-IV water with a dedicated group of experienced boaters with a minimum of 3 including a safety boater just to ensure everyone arrives safely at the end. Sorry nothing above class IV for me, still need to work on my roll and I'm just not quite there yet.

When I was in Johnstown I mainly whitewater kayaked the Stonycreek River. I've been recreational kayaking for quite some time and whitewater for about 3 years now. Either way glad to be back in the area and look forward to meeting some people to kayak with soon!