align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Pittsburgh Kayakers Message Board › I'm looking to buy something to mount my Kayak to my roof.

I'm looking to buy something to mount my Kayak to my roof.

Joe
user 11695604
Coraopolis, PA
Post #: 8
What do you recommend? Anybody selling a used roof racks here? It will be nice to finally transport using my car rather the gas-guzzler truck.

I'm tempted to try the foam blocks... and I'm kind of hesitant to jump toward a new rack...

Janet K
user 10208753
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 106
Foam blocks & straps can work well with the correct strapping technique. I prefer a factory roof rack but lots of people are very happy with after-market racks.
Ben S.
user 37256282
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 32
I use a roof rack I purchased for less then $20 in the early seventies. It is all metal, and designed to haul ladders, and lumber. I put pipe insulation over the bars for the kayaks to lay on. I use bungies, and straps to hold up to three kayaks on it. I still use it to haul ladders and lumber too!