addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

South Florida Kayaking Meetup Message Board › key largo to key west

key largo to key west

user 8440682
Boca Raton, FL
Post #: 129
planning to paddle from key largo to key west [stopping at hotels along the way]i'd like some opinions on the best time of year and best route and thinking behind the suggestions thanks
user 3129419
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 4
That sounds like a great trip, do you have a time from of how many days you are thinking it will take, how many miles a day you would be doing? I would be interested if you decide to do the trip.
user 8440682
Boca Raton, FL
Post #: 130
i'm shooting for about 33 miles a day but planning a day or 2 more if that doesn't work out well .it's still a long way off though i was going to do it for my 50th birthday the febuary after next but im not sure if thats the best time to go . i might do next summer
Dave. G.
user 36521152
Boca Raton, FL
Post #: 11
Sounds like a good time, put me on the list.
Mary B.
Onancock, VA
Post #: 2
We paddle Key Largo to Key West every year in March as a guided trip, all camping (we're doing it March 23-April 2, 2014.) We take 10 days which includes a day off at the halfway point in Marathon. It usually turns out to be about 120 miles. 33 miles a day seems like a lot, especially if you run into any weather issues. You must check the tides carefully at certain landings and have reservations at hotels in advance (though summer would be easier). Our book, "The Florida Keys Paddling Atlas," is a good resource for local knowledge and paddle-friendly lodgings. Check for the book and more info on the trip we offer.
Jeffrey B.
Flower Mound, TX
Post #: 96
Two friends of mine did that years ago in 3 days. The last leg was 20 hours and they swore they saw icebergs during the middle of the night!
user 8440682
Boca Raton, FL
Post #: 133
i'm kinda copying the rumrunner race, anyone do that one ? they quit running that one years ago