The Great Outdoors Message Board › Looking in to adding a few more Asst. Organizers...

Looking in to adding a few more Asst. Organizers...

Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 145
Hi everyone.
I have been up and down with this idea for a few months. As you can tell this Meetups has became larger than expected. As some of you know a few months ago I took a job that requires me to travel out of state 20 weeks or so a year so my time is getting limited. We have one assistant already and I am looking for 2 more to help feel the gaps. As Karen knows I am pretty easy to deal with and I will support you all on your events the best I can. You do not have to do an event every month but I am looking for people that can feel in dead months with stuff to do. With 4 organizers that puts each of us to organizing an event every 3 months or so. I would expect us to support each other with the event or at least show up if all possible.
What you need to have to do this is a good smile and personality. You need to really enjoy helping members and the group enjoy the time the have out on the water. A few thing you will be responsible for will be to make sure everyone makes it to the in, on the water and off the water safely. You should of also have already paddle with me at least twice and shown some type of leadership skills or be able to give me references for paddles or training you have received. You must be able to recognize a dangers and potential dangers situation and be able to adapt to handling it. You will need computer skills and be able research and find events to schedule. You must understand we do this for free, we do not get paid for this and we will not receive payment for organizing events. You must also know this is not a dating club and we do not have events that are based on this.

Also starting in September "TGO" will be sponsoring a local charity (Food Bank) all organizers will also need to sponsor this group and in addition will need to pick a local charity to post about. Not that the members will be made to recognize them but I think we can pass on a few good words. Charities should not be political, religious or school based. None Profit only!! Organizations that go to the extreme for animals will be reviewed by “TGO” and might be rejected. You will need to create a profile for your charity on the message board and keep it updated with information and events/drives they might be doing and post this information on the calendar. We will not need to make any “TGO” events based around charities organizations but you can as long as it is based around “TGO”. I just feel with 4 organizers this will give us more fulfillments with “TGO” and give us the chance to talk to members about things happening throughout Central Florida.
All requests for an AO position will be looked at. You can post here with any information and please email me if you want to try out. Please understand that I am only picking two and I do not want anyone disappointed if you’re not chosen. It takes allot from me to even have to ask. Trust me when I say I will be just as worried about your event as you will be.
Thank you all for you help and dedication to the group I hope to continue growing and keeping smiles on all your faces.
See you all soon,
Mike C.
Brian K
user 5358384
Orlando, FL
Post #: 4
Hey, PICK ME ! PICK ME!!
A former member
Post #: 21
Mike,

I think we need to have a planning meeting, once you get some volunteers and decide who to pick. I'll be looking for discussions in the future. thanks Mike for all your hard work. I know it takes a lot to be the organizer.

I think Second Harvest Food Bank is a good charity.

Thanks, karen
Margot T.
user 3947419
Lake Mary, FL
Post #: 2
I agree with Karen regarding Second Harvest Food Bank, they are a non-profit organization. I currently do a lot of volunteer work through this organization.

Here's a contact person if needed @ Second Harvest Food Bank:

Mindy Ortiz
Volunteer Services & Food Drive Manager
Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida
2008 Brengle Ave
Orlando, FL 32808
O# 407-843-5009 x20
F# 407-843-5016
Joanna
user 2838399
Orlando, FL
Post #: 18
Have to agree with Margot on Second Harvest. Marie and I do volunteer work for them as well, this is one great org. Count us in..

smile
Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 151
Hey thanks everyone for your in put.
Would any of you think about being an assistant organizer to a new Meetup group called " Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup" ? I found this group in TX and I really am thinking about doing something like this if I had a good support team to help out and that would be involved in the community. All of you know me well and by no way am I looking at changing the world but I do believe in giving back to the community. So just throwing some of my ideas out.
Check out this link... RAF­
Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike C.
A former member
Post #: 21
Not the best choice for an long term organizer, but I have a 4-door Ford Explorer and a small flat bed utility trailer.

I can't really load and unload, but can haul. Usually available on short notice at any time of day.

Good Gopher in an emergency, in other words.

Annie

407-925-4139

Hey thanks everyone for your in put.
Would any of you think about being an assistant organizer to a new Meetup group called " Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer / Non-Profit Meetup" ? I found this group in TX and I really am thinking about doing something like this if I had a good support team to help out and that would be involved in the community. All of you know me well and by no way am I looking at changing the world but I do believe in giving back to the community. So just throwing some of my ideas out.
Check out this link... RAF­
Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike C.

Scott
user 6283160
Ocoee, FL
Post #: 2
Mike,

One of my good friend arranges the charity work for the company I work at. I already do a lot there so I don't want to take more on, but if you need any contacts let me know. I know we work with Second Harvest, and Habitat for Humanity. There's other too just can't think of them all.

Scott
Mike C.
user 3250322
Group Organizer
Orlando, FL
Post #: 196
Still looking to add one more!!!
Thanks,
Mike C.
A former member
Post #: 42
I'm a new member. One event that (i think) would fit TGO is orienteering. My husband, Mike, is on the board and I am the newsletter editor of FLO. (we also maintain the web site) www.FloridaOrienteering.org

The next event is this Saturday. Events are the 2nd saturday of the month (except july & august).
This is not an event that needs someone there, as registration is open and runs 10am to 1pm. Note: it is very, very, busy right at 10am. (although volunteers are well loved and too few)

There is usually someone for beginner instruction at all events. This saturday Mike will have an instruction sesson for my group about 10:30am. We could probably host an orienteering event or hike most months, if you are interested.