This Update posted on 2/30/10:
--> Expected Attendance
--> Participating Meetup Groups (11)
--> Reservations & Cost update
--> Schedule of Events
--> Your food contributions!!
--> t's "We are not your Mama!" Clause
--> FAQ additions: Finding the group, site share, kids, pets, kayak rentals

--> Link to Meetup Event Site (TGO calendar)

--> Expected Attendance
Current Attendance Count as of the end of January, all groups: 155 (not incl. “maybe” rsvps)
Orlando Area groups’ RSVPs: 59 Yes 54 Maybe
*These are filtered for duplicates and include all groups

--> Participating Meetups:
HOST GROUP: Florida Outdoor Adventure Troupe (FLOAT)
Tampa Bay Singles, Socials and More
What' SUP
Southwest Florida Adventure Group
Gone Kayaking
Float Your Boat (Chicago Area Kayak Meetup)
Extreme Social
The Great Outdoors
OAR (Orlando Adventure & Recreation)
Florida Kayak/Canoe Meet Up
Adventures, Sports and Recreation in Central Florida

--> Reservations: Nature's Resort: www.naturesresortfla.com
Ask for Candy, and make sure to tell them you are with the FLOAT group to get the discounts. And remember, "The Loop" is the loud, late-nite party area, so let Candy know whether you want to be near it or not.

There are 0 cabins/trailers left as of today (1/30), but you can ask if there have been cancellations. There are plenty of tent / RV sites left; the Loop area is full. Remember there are additional rooms for non campers across the street at Seagrass River Resort. They have a boat ramp, docks, bar, restaurant and live music.

--> COST: Chalets and Park Models are $120/nite, Tent sites are $28.00 a nite - THERE IS A DISCOUNT, but you must remember to tell them you are with the kayak groups to get it. Our rate is $100/nite for cabins, $25/nite for tent sites. There is a discount for the RV sites as well. Chalets have three partitioned areas and can sleep 6; Trailers/park models have two partitioned areas and are limited to 4 unit.

--> Schedule of Events
Fri (4/24) -
INVASION! The leaders should arrive by noon. Experience dinner and drinks bigger than your head at marguarita grill for dinner - we recommend it! Often a bonfire, party in the loop until wee hours follows.

Sat (4/25) -
* 7 am-ish, breakfast in the loop (donations requested);
* 9ish - bring your bloody mary or mimosa to start of the day with a group paddle (there will be multiple paddles for different levels; be at the launchsite to linkup with the best group for you)
* 5:00 - Luau Pot Luck, followed by a bonfire, followed by a party, followed by a midnight paddle to the springs

Sun (4/26) -
Mass Exodus. A paddle to the springs in the morning is not unlikely. Be aware of your check-out times.

--> Stuff to bring: pot luck dishes, donations, firewood
Please post in your RSVP, or email me with your planned pot luck dish (try to do something Hawaiian!!) :)

If you are attending the 7 am breakfasts, please contribute food or cash.

Donations for this event are greatly appreciated; if you are so inclined please slip a few bucks to Eddie E.

We need firewood for the bonfires - please let us know if you can bring some.

--> t's "We are not your mama!" clause
You are responsible for your own safety, reservations & rentals, camping & personal gear, safety equipment, boat, etc. Know your self, your skill level, and your vessel. Kayaks are considered class A vessels and have boating requirements including onboard age-specific PFD and audible signal device regulations. Boating regulations are publicly accessible, as are recommended lists of practical, safety, and first aid items.

FLORIDA BOATING REGULATIONS

If you have specific questions or concerns, contact one of the organizers and we will try to help. We're not all experts, but some of us have done this before. ;) You'll easily find someone willing to do a skills session with you or give you paddle pointers as we go.

--> FAQ

** I don't know anyone - how will I find you?
Bring with you a map of the campground, schedule of events, and list of trip leader names, tent sites, and phone numbers. Don't worry - i'll make sure you have this toolkit before the event! :) This is the friendliest bunch of folks you will ever encounter. Seriously - just relax & join in. :)

** What about kids and pets?
Some folks do bring their kids on this trip; however, the evening events are adult only. Leashed dogs are welcome at the campground and on tent sites. NO pets are permitted in the cabins/trailers.

** I need to find someone to share a site with?
Post that in your RSVP, and actively look for others who have posted for shares & take initiative to contact them. Remember there are several groups involved, so you may want to take a look at the other sites' boards as well. You can RSVP on all sites.

** Can i rent a kayak?
You are responsible for your own rentals. You can post to see if anyone in the group has one you can borrow/rent. Nature's Resort has limited rentals - reserve those ASAP if you are interested. You can do a search for rental places in the Homosassa area, or even look for places in the Orlando area that will rent for the weekend. You will need to do your own rental research.

Suggestions:
Sweetwater Kayaks in Tampa will rent for the weekend. If you're taking I-4 to 275 north route, its not too far out of the way to swing by Sweetwater & grab/drop off the boat. Contact them for details. www.sweetwaterkayaks.com

Greg from Kayak Florida is also able to provide rentals for the weekend, and they can be picked up and returned in the Orlando area. For details, prices, etc, contact him at info@adventuresinflorida.com. If enough folks are interested in renting, he may be willing to bring the boats up to the campground on a trailer.

** I don't want to kayak - what else is there to do?
The majority of folks will be out on the water during the day on Saturday - but many of the events are non-kayaking (bonfires, pot luck, dinner at maragritaville, etc). There are hiking trails nearby and a state park (http://www.floridasta...­) to explore. Do a search of the area & you'll find lots of trouble to get into!! :) If you have trouble finding trouble just look for me ... i'm usually knee deep in it. :)