addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Madison Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board › New Yorkville, IL whitewater park

New Yorkville, IL whitewater park

A former member
Post #: 11
Hi Everyone,

I attended an informational session a couple of weeks ago on a brand new state whitewater facility in Yorkville, IL, which is about 2.5 hours from Madison. They've removed/reconfigured a small dam to create a section of whitewater for play and teaching. They are putting the concession out to bid this winter, as I understand it, but it sounds as if there will be some classes offered.

The presenter, who was from the Illinois Paddling Council, said he thought Rutabaga might be getting in on classes, so stay tuned! There is a similar paddlesport shop in Rockford that might be a candidate for classes as well. Because it is a state park paddling is open and free. The state consulted closely, it sounds like, with the IPC and they were heavily involved in both design and testing.

It's not a super-crazy course; the highest is Class III, and in several spots there are easier paths and more challenging paths. There are some testing videos from last month up on YouTube.

A little more info is here: http://www.yorkville....­

One of the YouTube videos: http://www.youtube.co...­

I know it's a bit of a hike for you all up in Madison, but it might be worth keeping an eye on and doing a bit of a drive to try something new in 2011!

Happy Holidays!

Megan
Barbara
BNice
Madison, WI
Post #: 25
Wonderful information Megan! Thanks for staying in touch with this and keep us posted.
--Barbara