Madison Kayaking Meetup Group Message Board › talk about being an assistant organizer...

talk about being an assistant organizer...

Barbara
BNice
Madison, WI
Post #: 12
A few members are now officially assistant organizers to help lead and run meetups. We discussed some of the issues that may come up while leading a group. I thought I would post the "best practices" we came up with.

-- SAFETY-- Is the meetup organizer or assistant organizer (MO/AO) responsible for the safety of others? The short answer is no. Each member is responsible for their own safety while paddling. BUT, we did come up with some items that should and must be brought on the trip by the organizer.
1. a small safety kit
2. a cell phone (contained in H2O proof case)
3. tow rope
4. List of members attending your meetup w/emergency number of each member.
5. two leaders for groups of 10 or more

The following is a list of general items that should be addressed before the meetup. This information to follow will be available on our site.
Meetup details:
Detail the meetup event with as much information as possible.

What day and time will you meet (on the water entry time expectation)
Where to meet (link of map)
Ability/experience level of event
How far is the trip - mileage?
How long will the trip take? - will there be breaks? - Time is important to keep as accurate as possible
Shuttle explanations - take out/put in times and places.
Provide a phone number for members to call with questions.
Cancellation info if inclement weather

Waiver statement to go along with each event stating that members are responsible for their own safety while participating in any event.
Web link for local water conditions and weather conditions
A checklist of how to prepare for the meetup
Cancellation of meetups

I will detail the above as I research them more and it may be that I have Rutabaga put a "meetup" safety bag together for us that can be brought along to each event.

Thanks to all those who have volunteered to lead group events. So far I have assigned 6 members to be assistant organizers. I will assign the rest of you who expressed interest after we have another assistant organizer meetup (which will be posted soon).

As always, your feedback is appreciated!
-b.