addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Kansas City Humanism Meetup Group Message Board › Scientology at the Public Library

Scientology at the Public Library

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 2
I'd like to bring everyone's attention to the fact that the Church of Scientology seems to be using the Kansas City Public Library and possibly other local libraries for propaganda purposes. I found 21 entries under the subject heading in the KCPL catalog for Scientology. Additional items are listed under Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard. This is out of all proportion to the importance of presenting information on this decidedly minor organization. Critics of the so-called church claim it may have less than 50,000 members world-wide. It has been called a malicious, money-making cult by writers as prestigious as Gore Vidal. Yet the KCPL collection includes videos in over-sized, highly graphic cases and expensive, coffee-table books on the founder, Hubbard, who was called a habitual liar and schizophrenic by a federal judge. Also, a book I once borrowed from KCPL years ago, L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman, written partly by his son and deeply critical of him and Scientology, is mysteriously now absent from its holdings.
Public libraries are sacred institutions for me. They should not be manipulated by what many see as a malicious cult. If you are unfamiliar with Scientology, check out Operation Clambake online, but be careful you have the real anti-scientology organization and not a scientology diversion. is I believe their proper online address.