K-Town Vegans Message Board › Recipes
|Karen of Oak R.||
Oak Ridge, TN
Smoky Apple Baked Beans
• 2 large onions, finely chopped
• 1 large red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
• 8 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 large apple, chopped
• 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (I also added a can of pinto)
• 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
• 3 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (I used ¼ cup of agave)
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke or smoked salt to taste (I skipped this all together)
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple and cook for another minute. Add the beans and remove from heat.
3. Combine tomato sauce and all remaining ingredients in blender. Blend at high speed until the dates are completely smooth. Pour this sauce into the onion and beans, and stir well. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch non-metal, lightly-oiled baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
Cumberland Gap, TN
YUM! THANK YOU.
|A former member||
These look so good! Thank you!