K-Town Vegans Message Board › Recipes?

Recipes?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everybody,

As you may know I am new to the group (as well as Tennessee) and also new to the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. I really want to make the switch, but I am struggling to find good tasting and easy to prepare recipes. I could also use pointers on grocery shopping, menu planning, food preperation and storing, etc. If anyone would be willing to send me recipes or even have me over for a weekly "vegan cookin class", like one night a week, I would REALLY appreciate it. I would even be willing to pay for food and/or your time.

Thanks!

Heather
Janice C.
happyvegan
Louisville, TN
Post #: 22
Heather,

I am willing to help you. I cook vegan from scratch, have 3 freezers full of vegan foods and supplies. Vegan since 1997. I cook vegans meals with friends and relatives, actually tmrw to help two interested people get started. My husband and I live in Louisville. Is there a way to exchange phone numbers or emails without exposing to world?

Janice

Kevin M.
user 9586584
Group Organizer
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 12
Hether,
One or two good cookbooks can really help in getting started, here are some recommendations (not necessarily available locally, but definitely available online - try Amazon):
- Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz - this was my first vegan cookbook and continues to be one of my standards
- The 30 Minute Vegan by Mark Reifeld and Jennifer Murray
- Vegan Handbook published by the Vegetarian Resource Group - an excellent resource!
enjoy,
Kevin
A former member
Post #: 1
I am actually fairly new to veganism as well. I became a vegan in March of this year and have found it a bit challenging too.
One of the most difficult parts of your transition is doing research. People can show you how to cook a meal, but it is essential to know what to incorporate into your diet. Here is where some good reading comes in handy. I see that Kevin has made some suggestions on different books to read. I quite like the suggestions and wanted you to know that you can find many (if not all) of them at Three Rivers Market co-op on Broadway in North Knoxville. I work at Three Rivers and not only do we have a nice, but small selection, of books but our store carries local and organic foods and does cater to vegetarians and vegans.
I am still trying to learn a lot about the different foods I should incorporate into my diet, new recipes and foods to try, etc.
Although I won't be able to offer as much advice as some of the seasoned vegans, I would be happy to give you a start & certainly learn some things along the way myself.
Marin