addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The San Francisco Korean Language, Culture and More Group Message Board › Is it a Korean Culture? Korean Men Beat Up Women

Is it a Korean Culture? Korean Men Beat Up Women

A former member
Post #: 10
Hello,

I saw one Korean man stated that in Korean he is the King! Women are slaves. Korean men beat up women. And I saw this article where Korean men beat up Chinese women in KFC. Is this a culture n to day world?

http://www.chinasmack...­

I watch Korean TV shows and really like to move to Korea. I also figured that Korean had similar culture to Chinese -- Manchus Dynasty. I googled it and it is obvious that we are brothers/sisters countries... Korean and Chinese were from the Manchurian Dynasty.
Bryan K.
user 49974722
Belmont, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Gina,

Unfortunately anywhere in the world there are men like this. I believe most Koreans in the Manchu area of China will be of North Korean origin or descent. Remember there is both a North Korea and South Korea and unfortunately there is a wide cultural difference between the two due to politics. Not saying South Korea is better but you can say that North Korean culture is stuck in the 1950's where as South Korea has progressed much not as much as European countries but we are getting there. So unless they catch these men we won't know which part of Korea they are from. My uncle is an example of the change in sexist ideals. He used to believe he had to be the bread winner and king of his castle and the wife should be home cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the kids now he has become a house husband paying for his wifes college education and running an internet business from home. He even offered his wife to goto graduate school if she wants no strings attached. My uncle is in his early 50's so he saw how women were treated in those early years after the Korean war. I can say most of my uncle's has progressed that far in regards to sexist ideals. Will there be households that try to remain traditional? Yes there will but I believe they will shortly become the minority.

Yeah that was a very unfortunate incident, and any man that lays a hand on a women should be beaten senseless made conscious then beaten again till they get a clue.

So there is my two cents on thatl
Zean E Y.
ZeanieYoon.com
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Post #: 310
Hi Gina,

I noticed that you left the group; but I add my reply to echo what Bryan Kim said.

Beating another human being is not a culture. It's a bad behaviour.

We tend to stereotype and conclude only a certain group of people have certain traits. Examples:

Latino men are chauvinistic;
Asian women are stuck-ups.
Asian people are good at math and science.
Los Angeles girls are fit or skinny.

And we all know these are not true.

I hope that you, and anyone reading this thread, understands that bad human behaviour of a small group of people does not make it culture of the entire group of people. It's a dangerous generalization.

One experience I can share with you about Korean culture on a related topic is this:

Korean society is, just like most society on the face of this planet, male-dominant. Hence there are traits that put women in a disadvantageous place. Meanwhile, I remember what Korean men say about themselves in regards to violence: if you have to resort to beating someone, it is a proof that you are that weak. (능력 없는 놈이 주먹질로 해결하려고 든다). If that someone is a woman or a child, they were referred as "A bastard who does not deserve his balls (불알이 아까운 놈)."

So if you must ask if beating a woman is Korean culture, the answer is no. Based on the general ethics on this issue, it seems that it's exactly the opposite.

:)

-----
Carbon copy on the blog.

A former member
Post #: 1
Thank you for all your response.