Hello, Annyong, and Welcome New Members!
This is partly a "state of the meetup union" message to start the year off. It's a new decade... let's have some fun
, make noise this year, and also make a difference!! The 750 unique members in the two largest DC-area Korean meetups are a part of thousands in a community of local people sharing Korean-related interests. With a little effort, this community can be a model of what can happen thanks to sites like Meetup. I've been speaking with some of the assistant organizers over the last few weeks, and have proposed a "20 in 10
" list (announced further below). But first...Events outside the group:
tonight is The Emography of Huh-hwe Tae
at KORUS House. KORUS House is also starting their spring Korean Language & Culture Classes (link)
on Feb 1. And in Manhattan next month there is the Korean American Film Festival New York (KAFFNY)
, and if you are interested in going, then post your interest on our meetup event page here
* Last Tuesday, South Korea has it's biggest snow storm in 70 to 100 years (10 inches) - coverage includes the Washington Post
and Yahoo pictures
and Korea-based Joins.com
* S. Korea's population trends
(Joins.com) shows more foreigners every year (with or without snow storms)
* Seoul is #3 on The 31 Places to Go in 2010
* DC's Michelle Rhee tied for #1 most influential Korean American - Educators are tops in 2009
(Korean Beacon)Announcing... "20 in '10":
20 accomplishments to do in 2010
- our own roadmap
for activities and projects. From charity-related, to the fun party-related, to the educational. Members can help out, or just watch, as the year rolls out. To build suspense the list will be unveiled in pieces - first six are below:
- Singing (like a K-pop star!) - Noraebang events, plus at least one singing event with a special twist.
- Understanding Korean - for people who want to learn to hear, speak, read, or write the language.
- Career & Jobs event - cultural differences between Korean & American job scene, & interviewing tips.
- Charity - supporting local & other charitable organizations with fund-raising & help - planning meeting in 2 weeks
- ESL - English as a Second Language - lessons, conversation events, help finding partners.
- Spa World - relax & feel renewed at Virginia's Spa World facility.
Upcoming items in the 20 in '10 list
will be in the areas including food (eating
& cooking), Korean language events
, film, and this year's versions of events such as our Travel Talks, road trip #2, and expanding on understanding cultural differences.
And, recently when the organizer of the Baltimore Korean Meetup
stepped down the group was a few days from being removed, so I kept it alive as organizer temporarily. We'll schedule a joint meetup event in the Inner Harbor & have a road trip
to B'more later this year when it's warmer. And this news just in... Honey Pig Korean BBQ (restaurant) coming to Baltimore
.Korean Word Of The Week: Thawing 해빙
(hae bing). Anyone hoping for our snow thawing by the weekend?
Have a great week!