Mark
user 10622702
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 3
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Hi. I've heard about this pastime of watching Korean Dramas, and people have said that they are able to improve their Korean by watching them...

My silly question: How does one find these Korean dramas to watch? They're not on my T.V....
Kia Yun
Kia-Yun
Arlington, VA
Post #: 28
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hulu.com has a few and dramafever.com is okay and they both have great quality, however, the commercials are bothersome. I like mysoju.com and dramacrazy.net but depending on the upload, some of the videos may not be so great in quality.

Another good site is http://wwitv.com/tele...­ where you can stream Korean television channels in realtime. That one is a little hit or miss because without a television guide you won't be able to know what's coming on and no subtitles, but it's fun for browsing.

And there is always YouTube. =)

Kia
Jen
user 12866250
Arlington, VA
Post #: 1
I used to go to Viikii.com.. recently their quality has improved. Websites like Mysoju just source from Viikii anyways. Viikii is always the fastest at translating after a drama airs.

Recently though, I found a small website put up by one of the Viikii staff members. NO commercials like dramafever and you dont have to download a plugin like on Viikii. So it updates the fastest and the videos are really great quality.

The only downside is, is the website is brand new so the only dramas on it are currently airing or fairly new. You should try it anyway

http://www.jacinda1st...­
Kia Yun
Kia-Yun
Arlington, VA
Post #: 29
I'll definitely be checking those sites out. Thanks for the suggestions Jen.
Jenn
user 54346612
Goose Creek, SC
Post #: 3
Netflix has some Kdramas(tv dramas) and Korean movies. I get streaming netflix and have watched quite a few on there. Otherwise, I watch dramacrazy.net, hula, dramafever, and viki and sometimes just youtube. I am learning Korean and you will definitely improve your learning watching these. The dramas are really long, though. 16-24(1 hr) episodes on average. I am completely addicted to Kdramas!!The historical dramas are just beautiful!! If you go to Dramacrazy then you can see which ones are most popular and reviews. smile
A former member
Good information!

How have people used tv successfully to learn Korean? I find that if I use subtitles I focus on those, but if I don't, I have no idea of what is going on :)
Natasha
pucelle
Portland, OR
Post #: 31
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
You can't learn from scratch by watching dramas with English subtitles but you can pick up works and phrases. Once you start learning Korean, you can pick up more but you will be distracted by the subtitles so it's better to watch with Korean subtitles. Since those are hard to come by (unless you speak Korean and/or have access to Naver) you can also alternate having the English subtitles on one episode and then off the next. It'll force you to listen more and you'll pay attention better.

However, the period pieces are different since no one speaks like that anymore so if you want everyday Korean you are better off watching the Adult dramas (not the ones for teens), the soaps are actually the best (things like High Kick Through the Roof, Pink Lipstick, etc) as they are more "realistic" and not as exaggerated.
A former member
I have a Roku and I subscribe to the Dramafever channel, it has lots of subtitled dramas, documentaries, and variety shows. I love Inkigayo, it's a weekly music program.

Some of the content is free to view online too: Korean Drama Fever