Fighting Elephant Gift Exchange - 파이팅! 엘리펀트 선물교환은
Official Game Style & Rules
(2012)What is it?
This is a fun & exciting gift exchange where people each put a gift in a pile, then one-by-one pick a gift (or "steal" an already-opened gift) until there are no more gifts. It is based on the old "White Elephant Gift Exchange". Our version adds some style and modern twists.How do I play? Buy a gift
- from $10-$15 value - and wrap it. When you arrive, you will get a number. The lowest number goes first, and the exchange continues until the last number gets their turn. (see "Rules" below for more details). If the gift costs $5 but is worth $15, that's okay. If the gift costs $50 but is a piece of junk, that's not okay.
(You don't have to play - you can also watch.) What? A Gift? Explain, please! Yes, a nice wrapped gift.
The gift should be something you want for yourself, or which many people will want. You can "re-gift" something you have, or buy something new. In the past, chocolate, beverages, and crazy-funny toys were all popular. Also, gift cards (fast food, shopping places) were hot.
(Note: nice gifts only!
We do not use the old style rules of taking some junk from your house!)Rules 1. Get a number:
Everyone gets a number when they arrive and add their gift. You can exchange numbers before or during the game (...before your turn). 2. First person goes:
The person who has the number "1" - introduce yourself
, and pick a gift from the pile. 3. Next person goes:
The person with the number "2" or higher - introduce yourself
, and then you have a choice:
4. Elephant turn rule:
- A: Pick a new gift from the pile, and open it, or...
- B: "Steal" an already-opened gift from another person. That person has to give up the gift! Once they give up the gift they have to start "Fighting"! (No, just kidding...). The person who lost the gift now has what we can call an "Elephant turn".
you now get to get a gift to replace your "stolen" gift.
Example of a turn: Paul steals a gift from Josephine. Josephine steals a gift from Timmy. Timmy cannot steal from anyone (because already 2 'steals' on this turn), so he picks a gift and opens it. It is now time for the next turn. 5. Continue until all gifts are open.
- You can always go pick a new gift. or....
- If the person who stole your gift was the first on the turn, then you can steal another gift.
- And... basically only 2 "steals" per turn, and you cannot steal a gift that was just taken from you.
Then... the "last fighting chance
" steal is for the person who had the number "1". They get to steal a gift from anyone, and the game ends. (Why them? Because they had not choice and only could open a gift, and may have gotten a bad gift - so bring only great gifts!)It's over? Can we do it again? After the game ends
, people can exchange or give their gifts away, or open them (if they are food, etc.). (Don't do this during the game!).
(The "fine print"
- rules may change based on events such as peer pressure
, temper tantrums
, and loss of sanity
. Trades during the game are discouraged, but don't really affect the game. If you leave early, leave your gift. )