Highlights: Forest shade, rock hopping, streamside trail, waterfall + deep canyons
Distance: 10 miles
Level: Beginner-Intermediate (moderate pace)
Time: ~5 hours
Elevation gain: 1400 ft
Trail: Out and back
Get outdoors. Get sweaty. Get spent...hiking w/friends!
Let’s go on one of the loveliest hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains! The hike is rugged, peaceful and mostly shady with oaks, spruce and alder (some parts exposed). We'll hop the stream several times, travel high above the 50 foot high Switzer falls and head towards Oakwilde Campground, where we’ll take a good rest before heading back the same way.
sunblock, snacks and 2 to 3 liters water + 10 hiking essentials
NOTE: PLEASE carry MINIMUM 2 liters (4 bottles of water). After 10 miles, 5 hours and a fair amount of elevation gain, you will need it!
No bathrooms at trailhead. Restrooms at 2 campgrounds along trail.
Switzer Truck Trail Angeles National Forest, Tujunga, CA 91042
- Take Interstate 210 North to Hwy 2 North in La Canada. Drive ~10 miles.
- A short way past the junction of Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest (N3) Highways, you'll see the Angeles National Forest Clear Creek Information Station on your right.
- ½ mile past the information station, park in the Forest Service Lot on the right side of the highway.
- Walk down the paved road 0.25 mile to Switzer Picnic Area. The trail begins across the bridge at the lower end of the picnic grounds.
Please try to carpool ... and be nice to your driver. Post in your RSVP if you can drive or need a ride.
Suggested carpool spots:
- Pasadena - 401 South Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91105, park on W Bellevue Dr - leave by 6:30am
- Alhambra Bowling Center - 1400 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91801 - leave by 6:15am
Black Cow Cafe: http://www.yelp.com/biz/black-cow-cafe-montrose
2219 Honolulu Ave, Montrose, CA 91020
We gotta try their corn flake french toast, tri-tip sandwich and biscuits & gravy~!
Look forward to seeing you on the trail! :)
By attending this event, you are voluntarily participating at your own risk and take full responsibility for yourself. You do not hold the organizers or the LAAPGSM group responsible for any injuries/damages/losses in any way.