Hiking and Rock Scrambling
at Vasquez Rocks!
Duration: 3-4 hours
This time, we're taking the trail less traveled. We're skipping the hiking trails and hitting the rocks!
Expect to climb. Expect to get lost. Expect to be super sore after this event! ;P
Jk, just expect to have a good time with friends!
What's Vasquez Rocks?
Vasquez Rocks is a spectacular high desert park in Agua Dulce, dating back 20 million years. Giant rock formations, formed from earthquakes and erosion, jut at a 45 degree angle and, well, can only make for great rock climbing fun!
We’ll be hiking ~4 miles in and around the maze of rocks. We’ll see the famous “Gorn” rock, caves, meadows and great views of the high desert landsape. There are so many places for every level of hiker and climber to explore and enjoy!
Tiburcio Vasquez was one of the most notorious gang leaders in Southern California. In the 1870’s, Vasquez and his gang would kill, rob and plunder, then hide out and lose the law in the intricate maze of rocks and caves, now known as Vasquez Rocks.
hat, sunblock, long pants, hiking boots / athletic shoes with good traction, 2 to 3 liters water, windbreaker (may be very windy in the Valley, even on warm days), snacks
In your RSVP, let other members know if you can drive/need a carpool and the area you are coming from. Carpoolers - please be kind to your driver, help out w/ gas $
- Alhambra Bowling Center: 1400 E Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91801 -leave by 9:00am
- Pasadena: 401 South Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91105 - leave by 8:45am
From Los Angeles:
- I-5 North
- 14 North/East (Antelope Valley Freeway) towards Palmdale/Lancaster (14 miles)
- Exit 15 for Agua Dulce Road, turn left
- Continue straight through stop sign and wind uphill until you reach Escondido Road. Turn right on Escondido Road.
- Entrance to park is on right side. Turn right, then urn left on dirt road.
- Go all the way to the back parking area until the dead end.
Afterwards, join us for lunch!
Big Mouth Pizza - 33323 Agua Dulce Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91390
Hope to see you there! :)
By attending this event, you are voluntarily participating at your own risk and agree to assume all responsibility for yourself. You do not hold the organizers or the LAAPGSM group responsible in any way.