Bonnie
user 51893562
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 2
Hi, the only reason I have not been bringing my 7 month old "Maggie Ann" (mini goldendoodle) to the meet-up is due to the fact she still gets car sick. She loves to play with other dogs and is very social so we are really missing out.

Any ideas? As soon as she gets in the car she starts to drool heavily and vomits even after a short trip. All trips are for something she enjoys and I have tried her on a few things suggested, but thus far nothing seems to work. I have a small car so a crate is out of the question and she just lays on my back seat. Has anyone else experienced this? and will she outgrow it? Thanks.
Nicole L.
NicoleLiljegren
Kirkland, WA
Post #: 2
We still have this problem with Dulcie, 8 month old standard Goldendoodle. She jumps right in the car no problem, front seat if I'm by myself (in my two door civic) or in the back seat of my husbands car if we are together. It doesn't matter if she's looking out the front, hanging her head out the side window or laying down in the back seat. She is always drooling and sometimes foaming at the mouth too. Luckily she doesn't throw up on short trips, but anything over 1/2 hour or 40 min she does. We try not to feed her within a couple hours of a drive so she doesn't have as much in her. Unfortunately she hasn't "grown out of it" and I hear that some dogs never do.
Cynthia
cynthia301
Seattle, WA
Post #: 16
It might be stress. Elvis doesn't like the car - he sometimes shakes - but puts up with it because he's figured out most of the time, it goes somewhere fun. I've found a Thunder shirt helps.

You might want to check with your vet -
Corina S.
user 15761571
Bothell, WA
Post #: 3
Our dog Winston is almost 2 and still gets carsick as well. He loves the car, so don't think it is stress, but not sure. It doesn't matter if he's in a crate or not, still vomits. Makes it very difficult to take him places as well.
Joe, Wendy & Gizmo...
user 30172042
Everett, WA
Post #: 6
Had the same problem with our doodles. Solution for short term trips...non drowsy dramamine. Check with your vet for how much to give as we use half a tablet I think but our dogs are 35 and 45lbs.

For vacation trips, they have special pills at the vet for car sickness. We drove from WA to CA with both dogs and had no problems. But, with these pills you cannot have the dogs take them for more than 2 days I think.

For driving around town we use the dramamine depending on how recently they have had food. Also keep in mind you need to plan ahead with the dramamine because it suggests an hour? taken before travel!

Gizmo grew out of his car sickness and Bailey is almost there! Hope this helps!
Bonnie
user 51893562
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 4
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My Vet recommended Benadryl but it has not worked. Maggie Ann is now about 40 lbs so I'll be sure to look for the non drowsy version of Dramamine as I really do want to take her more places with me. How old are your dogs? and how long did it take to grow out of it? Thanks again
Becky
user 4141689
Group Organizer
Woodinville, WA
Post #: 222
It's a process. My dog, now 20 months is now fine. He's not a "fan" I think of the ride, he just lays down the entire trip, but no more drooling or barfing. And he leaps in for the ride! But we did a lot of work. I first fed him his meals in the back of the car, and that was it, just hop up, eat and back in the car. I wanted him to see the back of the car like he does his crate, he loves his crate. Then I would go out tot he car and give him a juicy bone to chew on while I sat in the car and read. Did this a few times a week. Then we sat in the car, he chewed his bone, I read my book and the motor was running so he felt the vibration of the car. Did this for a week, a few times a week. Then I drove down the street with him, turned around and went home. After that I took a trip to town, went for a walk, and he was fine. He's been fine ever sense. It takes more time for some dogs then others. An empty stomach can sometimes make it worse, a little in the tummy is better. Rescue Remedy works for some as well to take the edge off but my experience is, nothing works better then just time, patience and some out of the box dog training. :)

Also, please be safe with your furbabes. Do not let them ride in the front seat of the car. Use common sense and treat them like the precious kids they are, your fur kids. Buckle them up, crate them, tether them. Sometimes having them ride in their crate in the car can also help. Keeping them more contained, tethered so they can't pace back and forth, helps them settle.