addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 117
I need some advice. My Goldendoodle keeps getting ear infections, and all our vet does is put her on her meds for the ears but I don't think they ever really go away! I've heard that sometimes it could be there food there allergic too! Does anyone have this problem with there Goldendoodle? And if so, did you switch food (which brand) or what else did you do to help with this problem. I am lost on what to do. Thank You
LAURA & BAILEY &...
user 10534162
Edmonds, WA
Post #: 10
I clean my goldendoodle's ear once a week that helps she to would get ear infections.My vet give us otomax drops. And once a week I use Epi-Otic Laura

Jodi
user 7732524
Bothell, WA
Post #: 1
Bentley had constant ear infections. We switched his food, I plucked the hair out of his ears, cleaned his ears with the ear cleaner from the vet but they wouldn't go away. The last time the vet put him on steroids. I was so, so worried about hearing loss. I searched and searched on the internet about ear infections and I found this one and I am so so glad it worked. We haven't been back to the vet for his ears. I started this the first part of June. I keep the hair plucked out and clean them once a week with the vets cleaner and use this solution once every 2 to 3 weeks. Here is the website if you want to try.http://www.zimfamilyc...­ I put it in his ear outside and let it sit and put a cotton ball in to catch the extra that flies out when he shakes his head and move to the other ear. I chose this one verses the blue solution since it stains everything blue and Bentley really shakes his head. I got the boric acid on line from Amazon.
A former member
Post #: 118
Jodi,
So do you think your goldendoodle was allergic to food too? I am going to try the solution and hopefully it works. I don't want to have to take her to the vet again, its getting rather expensive and it doesn't work. Thanks sooo much!
Jodi
user 7732524
Bothell, WA
Post #: 2
We changed Bentley's food but he still had ear infections. He still hasn't had another one so we are very happy!
A former member
Post #: 1
I have worked for a veterinarian for 15 years and have had 7 Golden Retrievers. They seem to have more ear issues than Labs which partly why I chose a Labradoodle. But Poodles can have problems too. Usually it is yeast. This can be an allergic reaction and can also be caused by moisture in the ear. I suggest at least a good cleaning once to twice weekly making sure the cleaner get all the way too the canal and wiping out with a warm washrag. Changing food can work but if the allergies are environmental it's best to treat symptomatically. If you go to a dermatologist and have your dog tested for allergies it gets very expensive and they usually are allergic to many grasses and trees. They do treat with injections but my experience is they stop working after awhile. A good foo is IVD Limited Ingredient diets. whitefish & potato, Venison and potato, Duck and Potato and Rabbit and potato. Just the food no other treats or table food. You can make little meatballs out of the canned food by rolling them in little balls and baking them (doesnt do much for the aroma in the house) but the dogs love them. You have to keep the dog on this diet only for at least 4 weeks to see if it is helping. Dogs can also have itchy skin and develop hotspots so always use a good flea treatment and dry well after swimming. I f a dog ahs grown up eating a specific protein, chicken or lamb etc they can develop allergies so it's good to vary there proteins and grains sometimes. Well that was a mouth full. Hope it helps.

Rhonda
Cynthia
cynthia301
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5
Elvis had a LOT of ear infections (both yeast and bacterial) - and I tried everything - having his ears plucked, cleaning them, etc. They were alway full of a dark gunk. I eliminated chicken completely from his diet and his ears cleared almost immediately - it was amazing! He's hasn't had an ear infection in over a year.

Chicken is a big allergen for many dogs. It's hard eliminating chicken (which was his favorite food) because it's in most dog food and a lot of treats so you have to read the labels carefully. We're currently on Evo Red Meat and he's been doing well. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than the vet visits.
Becky
user 4141689
Group Organizer
Woodinville, WA
Post #: 110
My dog (a Labrador) has massive ear infections and it's a food allergy. It can take 6 to 8 weeks of being on an elimination diet. Our dog gets fish and potato. Now, that said, if she gets ONE snack, one piece of popcorn, it sets her back weeks so it's difficult if you have multiple dogs because of the different foods.

You can always do allergy testing but it does not give all that much when it comes to food which is why sticking to a strict diet will help you see if it is allergy. Zoom was ear infection free for 6 months, a first and then she got a slice of bread and BAM, the next day her ear just explodes. So I think her allergy is wheat related.

It's not so much a doodle thing as it is a Labrador and golden thing.