2 Million Dogs grew from a cross-country walk by Luke Robinson of Austin, TX and his two dogs Hudson and Murphy. They walked from Austin to Boston to fulfill the promise Luke made to his dog Malcolm, a Great Pyrenees who died from cancer. Luke later formed 2 Million Dogs with the belief that if two dogs can walk 2000 miles to raise awareness about canine cancer, surely two million dogs can walk 2 miles.
The monies raised through the walk and subsequent events, will be used to partner with leading cancer research institutions to help further their work in the leading-edge field of comparative oncology.
The Pittsburgh Puppy Up! Walk begins at the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. You and your pet can walk to our halfway point party at the National Aviary, where you'll find refreshments, puppy treats, and doggy games. Return to the Western PA Humane Society for more fun following the walk!
You are not required to walk the entire distance, nor are you required to bring a dog to this event. Cancer affects everyone, and we welcome anyone who wants to participate.
Join us for an afternoon of fun!
There will be vendors, entertainment, food and raffles galore.
The day's schedule includes:
- An appearance by the Pittsburgh Pirate Parrot
- Fall Pet Photos
- Pet Photos with Santa -- each pet owner who has photos taken will go home with a CD containing their pet's photo(s).
- Terrific raffle prizes from the Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, and numerous local businesses
- Walk "in memory" or "in honor" of a dog or human with cancer who has touched your life.
- Memorial Wall -- bring your photos of humans and dogs you've lost to cancer, and add them to our event's Memorial Wall. Our 2012 event's wall will be displayed at future years' Pittsburgh Puppy Up! walks.
- A veterinarian specializing in oncology, and a registered nurse will be on hand to address the concerns of any participants (human or canine) who currently have cancer.
The first 100 registrants are guaranteed a goodie bag containing a reusable shopping bag, dog and human snacks, coupons for Pittsburgh businesses, doggy cleanup bags, a toy for your dog, a Puppy Up! bandana for your dog (or you!), and a Puppy Up! bracelet.
Western Pennsylvania Humane Society --Need directions? Click here for a map
Registration open: 12:00 pm - 1:45 pm
Vendor booths open, entertainment starts 12:00 p.m.
Walk to the Aviary 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Festival includes vendors, food, entertainment and fun! 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm Fees:
Adult Registration: $20.00
Applies to advance registrations received at the Pittsburgh Puppy Up! registration page prior to November 2, 2012
Youth Registration: No Fees
Youth Registration under the age of 14 are free.
Day of Event Registration: $30
Participants raising $100 or more will receive a Pittsburgh Puppy Up! event t-shirt.
Registration, event information, and Puppy Up stories:
Join "Team Puppy Up" to walk with our group and to pool our fundraising to win our group a prize!
cancer. touches. everyone