The Charlotte Salsa Maniacs Meetup Group Message Board › Special event this weekend - Salsa De Soul bootcamp/workshop

Special event this weekend - Salsa De Soul bootcamp/workshop

Muhammad A.
user 6574800
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Hey Charlotte Salsa Maniacs,
Just in case you have not checked our meetup schedule this week, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on what is going on this weekend. Here is the announcement.

Muhammad, the Cat in the Hat’s – Salsa de Soul bootcamp and workshop for Beginners and their crew

If you are an absolute beginner, this workshop is for you
If you are not an absolute beginner, but you want a review and to advance your dance skills, this workshop is for you.
If you haven’t danced salsa in a while and you want to get back in the groove, this workshop is for you.
If you have been trying to get your friend or your partner into salsa, bring your friend and help him or her to start the journey.  This workshop is for you. The workshop will not exceed twenty people so as to provide real individual attention and input.

Come join us on Saturday, August 24 from 11 to 1 pm.  At the Abundant Life Creative Living Dance Studio at 1800 Camden Road   Suite 203 Charlotte, NC 28203 (704) 793-3332 at the Center; (704) 649-4653 my number.  Email me at salsadesoul@gmail.com­ or afroblue@gmail.com

The price is $25.00 per person, or $40 per couple. Children (teens with sufficient maturity) are welcome, and their price for the workshop is $20.00

We will start with warm up exercises and Bachata (if you don’t know Bachata, you will learn)
Then we learn about the music and how to listen and how to dance to the music. You are not dancing in a vacuum. You are dancing to the music, and you are as much a part of the experience as are the singers and the musicians; your body is your instrument.  The dance begins within you. It is all about the joy in dancing, and about finding your own dancing voice and style.
Body work
Most instructors focus on dancing with focus on the steps
But you don’t dance on your feet; you dance with your feet,
You dance with your entire body. We will get your body involved

Steps
The salsa basic step (with variations)
The Cuban style basic side step
The Cumbia style basic  step
Africando sytle elements (focus on body movement and rhythm)
Turns
Right
Left turn
Side turns (right and left)
Back around turns
Half turns
Styling
How and when; most people love to style, but do it as part of a routine, or so frequently as to dilute its impact. Styling is an embellishment.  It is flavor, the seasoning sauce on your Salsa. If you use it all the time, it spoils the flavor, it is distracting, and it means you are not really dancing to the music, for the music tells you when to style. As a musician, who played congos with Puerto Rican and Afro Cuban bands in NYC , and trumpet in R&B bands, before I learned a single Salsa step, I can attest to the fact that most dancers don’t bring real real real listening to their dance.  Listening is the key, not only to styling, but to leading and to following.  As a Tanguero, I can attest that listening is the key in Argentine Tango, and as a Salsero, I feel it gives so much more depth and possibility to my salsa dancing. Most of all, it gives me more connection to my partner.
If you want to find your own style, your own voice, it begins with listening, and with dancing from the inside out, from your heart, from your soul.  That is the first component of my style: Salsa de Soul.
A Simple pattern and routine to help you practice.
Partnership work
Dancing in partnerships
For leaders, how to lead effectively
For followers, how to follow

Cross body lead

Cross body lead with turns

Dance Floor Etiquette and Related Matters

When you finish this boot camp workshop, you will be able to dance go out dancing, and dance with anyone.
Note:  We begin our next series of classes (five week session), beginning Tuesday, August 27 at 6:45 -8 pm. At the Abundant Life Creative Living downtown dance studio.

Looking forward to seeing you at the bootcamp/workshop this Saturday and at class on Tuesday.

Muhammad Abdullah,
The Professor, the Cat in the Hat